PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade from 9.10 is epic disaster...HELP

dcade
June 28th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Two days ago, I was happily using 9.10 with no problems. I decided to upgrade to 10.04 because it looked really cool and every upgrade had been at least a litte better for the past 3 years of using ubuntu.

I rarely use command line. I just don't like microsoft or apple very much. I do know a little about how to do it, but i need it broken down barney style.

Back to topic...

When i boot my computer, everything goes fine until the purple screen that says ubuntu with red dots under it. I expect to see my login screen next, but it just goes black and responds to nothing.

I started in failsafex and things seem to work ok. I assume the graphics settings are too high at default and i need to back them off some. Nothing I do fixes the problem. can i do something about this from root?

next problem...

i use a laptop with external monitor and it has worked forever. now, the system doesn't recognize it at all in failsafex. I don't know if it will work once the distro actually works, but any hints would be great.

I prefer to not have to erase everything on the computer, but if it will get me running again faster it's ok.

Thanks

dustin

bondo101
June 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Try using recovery mode when it boots up, or using your 9.10 install cd. It happend to me and I used the recovery mode and got back into 9.10. Install 10.04 side by side your 9.10 it works a hell of a lot smoother.There is a posting in one of these blogs about 10.04 when it goes bad and what to do.Just keep reading the blogs you'll find a fix to your problem. Don't want to tell you too much ya might get confused.

bondo101
June 28th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Just hang in there it gets better all the time in Ubuntu world.

dcade
June 29th, 2010, 04:12 AM
i'll give that a shot. I have loved ubuntu since i first loaded 7.04. I'll get back to the forum in a while to let you know how it goes.

in the mean time, if anyone knows what's up let me know.

there are so many threads on here it gets insanely confusing.