PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I install Mac OS X on Virtualbox

danielwtn
June 28th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I am currently using Ubuntu 10.04 and Virtualbox on my computer, and I recently was given a Mac OS X Snow Leopard disk. However, when I tried to install it as a virtual OS for use on my computer, it refused to boot from the disk. If anyone knows how to boot through the disk, some help would be much appreciated; as I am currently out of ideas on how to make this work.

Helios747
June 28th, 2010, 05:18 AM
AFAIK OS X won't work in a VM.

however this article, written last May says yes. http://hackaday.com/2010/05/03/virtualbox-beta-runs-mac-os-x/

they probably have new releases since then.

Are you using the Open Source (OSE version from synaptic)

or the closed sourced version, downloaded from Virtualbox website?

Tylerjd
June 28th, 2010, 01:43 PM
There is a short and long answer to this question.
Short: No
Long: Yes, but only on top of Mac OS X or Mac OS X server. In the hack-a-day article, they are running the VM on top of mac. Sorry, there is no way I know of that Mac OS X will run ontop of Ubuntu. check the support guide on the Sun/Oracle website.

rjcalifornia
June 28th, 2010, 05:10 PM
try qEmulator...

nerdy_kid
June 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
i heard that qemu can be made to run os x, but that was a while ago and it was talking about the powerpc version of osx

lukeiamyourfather
June 28th, 2010, 05:57 PM
VirtualBox 3.2.X or newer will support OS X guest out of the box if the host is also OS X.

DoubleClicker
June 29th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Running Mac OS X in a virtual machine is a direct violation of Apple EULA. So, I would guess, that it would be against the ubuntu forum rules, to ask how to do it.

lukeiamyourfather
June 29th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Running Mac OS X in a virtual machine is a direct violation of Apple EULA. So, I would guess, that it would be against the ubuntu forum rules, to ask how to do it.

As long as the host is "genuine" Apple hardware its in accordance with the EULA, no?

DoubleClicker
June 30th, 2010, 04:42 PM
As long as the host is "genuine" Apple hardware its in accordance with the EULA, no?

No, you are not even allowed to run Mac OS X in a virtual machine, on top of Mac OS X on a genuine Mac.

lukeiamyourfather
July 1st, 2010, 02:15 PM
No, you are not even allowed to run Mac OS X in a virtual machine, on top of Mac OS X on a genuine Mac.

Wow, glad I don't use Mac at home! [-X

guidop
July 1st, 2010, 09:21 PM
As far as I can tell, the English version of the OS X EULA only says it has to be installed on an Apple branded computer:

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/ *

I don't see anything mentioning virtualization.

* Links to EULA .pdf documents are on this page.

josephe
August 30th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Hi all
Hope this doesn't violate any EULA or forum rules, but I'm looking into Mac and fully expect to be able to split my drive between Leopard, Ubuntu and Windows7. On a Macbook from what people have been saying this is fine, but not on say my other laptop which is a Dell.

But check this out, I know this relates to Windows machines, but if Windows, then why not Ubuntu

http://www.taranfx.com/install-snow-leopard-virtualbox

vishvesh
August 30th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Hi josephe,
I was able to install Mac OS on virtual box. The steps provided in the links are correct.

dngfng
August 30th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Regarding the EULA issue - this is a non-issue for Europeans as the EULA is void due to the fact that it is inside the Box - i.e. you are not able to read the EULA prior to purchase thus the EULA is null and void. At least over here in the old world.