PDA

View Full Version : book collection software with dewey decimal

rebeltaz
June 28th, 2010, 04:08 AM
I am currently using Telico, but is there a program that will automatically update the Dewey Decimal code for each book in my collection, probably using the Library of Congress database?

Lucradia
June 28th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Each region of libraries I think has different databases, so the same book in one region may have a different decimal number in another region.

*shrug* Not sure though, haven't compared.

However, the categories (the number before the decimal point) are all the same.

rebeltaz
June 28th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Each region of libraries I think has different databases, so the same book in one region may have a different decimal number in another region.

*shrug* Not sure though, haven't compared.

However, the categories (the number before the decimal point) are all the same.

It doesn't really need to be exact. I have over 2000 books, so without categorizing them with the DDS and computer database, finding a single book is a daunting task!

mkendall
June 28th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I am currently using Telico, but is there a program that will automatically update the Dewey Decimal code for each book in my collection, probably using the Library of Congress database?

Um... No. There is no program that will update a Dewey system using the Library of Congress. Completely different catalogue systems. Think deb and rpm, only more so.

rebeltaz
July 3rd, 2010, 05:30 AM
Um... No. There is no program that will update a Dewey system using the Library of Congress. Completely different catalogue systems. Think deb and rpm, only more so.

You mean no Linux program, right? Because I used to use Collectorz.com software that did just that before moving to Ubuntu.

rebeltaz
September 19th, 2010, 05:42 AM

And actually, Tellico DOES update the Dewey Decimal number associated with each entry using the LoC online database. It just isn't enabled by default. There is a mod file that needs to be dropped into the Tellico directory. Again, just in case anyone has the same problem. Email me if you need the mod file...