PDA

View Full Version : Would it Work?

mamamia88
June 28th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I have an hypothetical idea for a custom computer case. You build your computer in an aquarium and make sure it has an airtight seal. then you put it inside a larger aquarium and surround it with water. would that work to keep it cool? maybe add some salt and ice to the water for even lower temps

Austin25
June 28th, 2010, 02:16 AM
It should definitely work if you keep the top of the inside aquarium above the water level, because the are built to be water tight. It would look cooler if you put fish in it!

Sub101
June 28th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Dont see why it wouldnt work? Potentially risky though!

Id go for this instead!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PZaO7C_IB8&feature=related

KdotJ
June 28th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Go for it dude lol
I ave infact heard of liquids that allow you to submerge electrical components and remain filly functional. Imagine the cooling on that lol

Dustin2128
June 28th, 2010, 02:44 AM
cooling is a major problem for me with my epic hardware 8-). well at least on my desktop. If you made one I'd probably buy it or just copy it to save money... :-\"

mamamia88
June 28th, 2010, 02:58 AM
would it kil the fish?

Legendary_Bibo
June 28th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Go for it dude lol
I ave infact heard of liquids that allow you to submerge electrical components and remain filly functional. Imagine the cooling on that lol

Mineral Oil. It's very expensive though, they had a really high end computer going for $10,000. It uses the most and best parts available which causes a lot of heating which is what the mineral oil is for. Electrical components can be put in it without problems and it keeps them cooler than any other system out there.

If you're going to put it in an aquarium then might as well pour some Mineral oil in it. It's about $60 for a five gallon container.

This test shows that after 48 hours of running its processors at their maximum capacity the system reached a temperature of 88 C which is high, but this was after 48 hours of fully clocking their CPUs!

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Legendary_Bibo
June 28th, 2010, 03:01 AM
would it kil the fish?

Yes, fish typically live in cooler waters, your computer would heat up the water too much. Unless you were doing it to an older computer then it should be fine.

S1xp4ck
June 28th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Yes, fish typically live in cooler waters, your computer would heat up the water too much. Unless you were doing it to an older computer then it should be fine.

I beg to differ, most avid aquarists own tropical fish and I know for mine need 80 F temps all the time.

smellyman
June 28th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Link (http://internetsiao.com/pc-cooled-in-an-oil-submerged-aquarium/), oil aquarium

Legendary_Bibo
June 28th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I beg to differ, most avid aquarists own tropical fish and I know for mine need 80 F temps all the time.

Ah, I stand corrected then! :D
Well as long as the OP isn't running triple quad cores or something then it should be fine. I think a Dual Core at the most so your fishies don't kill over. You know this is an odd thing to discuss..."How fast of a processor can you run in an aquarium so you don't kill the fish living inside of it?" :confused:

:lolflag:

lostinxlation
June 28th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Off the top of my head, I don't find it much beneficial to do so to cool down the system. Water has higher conductivity than air and it takes the heat from the system more efficiently, however, eventually the heat trapped in the water should dissipate into the air outside the aquarium which could be the bottlenetck.
it might work, but unless you exchange the heat like Cray-2 or have huge amount of water in the aquarium, I don't see it improves the heat dissipation that much.

Dustin2128
June 28th, 2010, 04:57 AM
anything from intel will probably kill all fish from heat regardless of species :lolflag:

oedipuss
June 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Love the mineral oil tank , but what if you need to install some new hardware, or fix a loose cable or something?
I imagine the amount of mess would be phenomenal...

Frak
June 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I would suggest just submerging your components in mineral oil instead. It's a tad expensive, but it's worth it.

bondo101
June 28th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Ok , OK If ya build will the fish come out and play. Salt water fish 80 )degrees , fresh water 70 and above. The only problem with fish is they get sick even if ya look at them, I had fish tanks for years angle fish mostely. Alot of work, but it might be fun.):P

mr clark25
June 28th, 2010, 10:10 PM
sticking to the thread creator's original idea, why not use water cooling, and place the "radiator" outside the first aquarium, but still in the second (outer) aquarium?

or you could just remove the "radiator" completely, and just let the pipes hang just outside of the inner aquarium.

if you do this, please post pictures!