PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Updated Xubuntu 10.04...Restarted into Non-GUI Ubuntu 10.04

Lauxmonster
June 28th, 2010, 12:25 AM
This is a weird occurrence. Never has this happened to me, nor do I understand how it is quite possible.

I just installed Xubuntu 10.04 from CD on my old old computer (specs in sig). It was working swell and then I realized Update Manager was asking for updates. I agreed to all except for the CUPS and printer stuff as I haven't configured my pain in the *** Canon network printer yet.

Anyway. Updated that. Requested a restart. I restarted.

Next time it booted, it booted into command line Ubuntu 10.04, not Xubuntu as I had installed before. Oh and there was no GUI, just command line as I said before.

Since I am pretty noob, it would be quicker for me to make another install than to try to figure out what to do. I reinstalled Xubuntu 10.04 and all is well. During the reinstall, in the partition section, it was confirmed that Ubuntu 10.04 was installed.

So, I am just trying to figure out what the hell just happened.

Quite odd. I don't believe I did anything weird.

Thanks.

Sonsum
June 28th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Maybe somehow xubuntu-desktop got uninstalled?

Lauxmonster
July 4th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Maybe somehow xubuntu-desktop got uninstalled?

Wow....really late reply. I am terribly sorry. I am not sure the answer. I had a really busy week at work and I completely forgot until today.

I am not sure what happened. I am going to try to reinstall the updates again.

Hopefully it does not fail this time because I just built FlightGear 2.0.0 from the ground up and it took me about 4 hours for the entire install.

But I'll report back if anything persists.

Thanks.

Lauxmonster
July 5th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Okay, I decided to take the risk and update everything and boom....screwed me over. I only use this machine for Internet so I had nothing unique on it. (Oh except for the FlightGear build I was working on. =p) Wasn't a problem, but maybe for others...but maybe its something with my machine?

Maybe if I update via Terminal?...I don't wanna to reinstall...again...

Any ideas?