PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that Opera gets a tough time?

Macfunky
June 28th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I have tried a load of web browsers over the years. I had settled on Opera for a good few months and while i do love it, i found it had some problems with a few pages i visit regularly. Since then i have gone back to Firefox as i have always had very little trouble with it. At present Opera has no current versions available for Linux although even the betas work very well.

Anyway as my post says, do you think Opera has had a tough time of it? I know it has been innovative yet i don't want to mention things in case i am wrong but from what i gather it has really created a lot of features that have since become pretty much standard in other browsers (correct me if I'm wrong or confirm anything if you can). So considering it is such a good browser (subjective, but i do think it really is very good) why hasn't it become more successful? Has it been given a hard time? Any and all thoughts please :)

Dustin2128
June 28th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I don't think it gets a hard time, I use it, and it has invented many features that its gotten credit for, tabbed browsing anyone? Poll is rather limited. It's very nice and has many innovative features.

graeme_p
June 28th, 2010, 12:17 AM
If it does not get the credit it deserves, I would say it gets a hard time.

It is good for the sort of person who uses Firefox with no extensions, and does not know what extensions are. Unfortunately, that sort only installs anything other than the defaul browser if someone advises them to, and the advice will come from the sort of person who either does use extensions, or who likes to recommend FOSS.

Austin25
June 28th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Use it if you want, but I'm loyal to Firefox, even if Chrome is better. If there's one that doesn't get talked about enough, it's lynks. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_%28web_browser%29)

Macfunky
June 28th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I don't think it gets a hard time, I use it, and it has invented many more features than its gotten credit for, tabbed browsing anyone? Poll is rather limited. And opera for linux is current, check www.opera.com/download . It's very nice and has many innovative features.

That link is to version 10.11. They are up to 10.60 but the most recent stable version for Linux is 10.11 as far as i know.

Dustin2128
June 28th, 2010, 12:46 AM
That link is to version 10.11. They are up to 10.60 but the most recent stable version for Linux is 10.11 as far as i know.

sorry, brain fart](*,). Thought you meant that all versions of O for linux were betas (like chrome). They do have 10.60 beta for linux though http://www.opera.com/browser/download/?ver=10.60b1 . Going to test it, be back after install.

Screwdriver0815
June 28th, 2010, 03:14 AM
hmm... I have Opera 10.53 on my system... Sabayon 5.3 :confused: installed from the repos :confused:

Opera is really nice, but I think they will stay where they are = the unrecognised beauty in the 3rd row

rabbotz
June 28th, 2010, 03:34 AM
i would switch to opera if it had an adblockplus add-on. the built in adblocker is pretty useless.

aladinonl
June 28th, 2010, 03:45 AM
i would switch to opera if it had an adblockplus add-on. the built in adblocker is pretty useless.
I think the built-in ad blocker, called "content blocker" in Opera, is better; because it blocks the URLs, unlike element blocking like ABP in FF. U might still see the ads after adding the URL because of the cache; Clearing the cache, u will not see it again.

The major turn-off for me is Opera' weak password manager. And looks like Opera developers is burying their heads in the sand in this matter.

rabbotz
June 28th, 2010, 03:50 AM
I think the built-in ad blocker, called "content blocker" in Opera, is better; because it blocks the URLs, unlike element blocking like ABP in FF. U might still see the ads after adding the URL because of the cache; Clearing the cache, u will not see it again.

The major turn-off for me is Opera' weak password manager. And looks like Opera developers is burying their heads in the sand in this matter.

thats kind of the point, you have to manually block things. the block option also isnt available about 70% of the time for whatever reason.

aladinonl
June 28th, 2010, 03:56 AM
thats kind of the point, you have to manually block things. the block option also isnt available about 70% of the time for whatever reason.
http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/
Here you go. I agree content blocker can be better. But It's not my major problem with Opera.

Timmer1240
June 28th, 2010, 04:00 AM
I was using firefox then I tried google chrome really like it ive never tried opera though have to try it out sometime

rabbotz
June 28th, 2010, 04:01 AM
http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/
Here you go. I agree content blocker can be better. But It's not my major problem with Opera.

thanks, but unless its officially released as a plugin im not interested.

RichardLinx
June 28th, 2010, 04:48 AM
I use Opera... If development on the browser suddenly stopped then I wouldn't really care, I'd just move to Firefox or Chrome. But for the past year or so I've liked Opera the most so that's what I use.

YeOK
June 28th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Opera is my backup browser. Personally, I had a horrible time with Firefox 2.x and its plugins. I switched and once I had Opera setup, it was a much better browser.

They also are pretty big in some countries. Its the browser used in the wii, and its the biggest browser on mobile platforms. I think Opera is doing very well.

First choice is Chrome, I still dislike Firefox on Linux, though the 3.7 nightly (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/) is looking like it may be a big leap forward.

HappinessNow
June 28th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I was using firefox then I tried google chrome really like it ive never tried opera though have to try it out sometimeWith Google Chrome, Opera has become irrelevant.

Spr0k3t
June 28th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I have to completely agree that Opera is fantastic and way under credited for the innovations they have brought to web surfing. I just don't use Opera anymore. I was one of the few with a license before the initial O^2 release. I can't use a browser anymore without some sort of mouse gesture feature.

The big question that Opera supporters generally ask, "Why don't you use it still." Whatever browser I use, I need it to be the same across the board on as many different computers as possible. Also, I don't want to have to install an application that isn't already there on someone else's computer. I keep with me a flash drive that has portable firefox with identical addons to my primary computer.

I support Opera, and recommend it to anyone who will listen. I just use Firefox as my primary.

chessnerd
June 28th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I was actually planning on posting something similar to this just a few days ago.

I'm an avid Opera user. I used IE for the longest time, then I used Firefox for a few months and someone told me about Opera. I tried Opera, and thought that it was cool, but then went back to Firefox. Obviously, after using Opera, I added the Speed Dial and FireGestures extensions so that I could take my experience with me.

Soon, however, I found myself being drawn back to Opera again. As if some invisible force from the fjords of Scandinavia was pulling me towards a giant red "O." That was over a year ago. Now, no power on earth has managed to shake my devotion to this software gem. I am currently using the 10.6 beta on all of my Linux installs and 10.54 on all of my Windows installs. I have other browsers installed, but unless I go to a website that demands IE or Firefox, I rarely, if ever, use them.

Opera deserves more than it has. There is no doubt in my mind. Should it be the #1 browser? Maybe not, but it deserves better than #5. Sadly, it is being overshadowed by Chrome and Firefox. With 10.6 on the way soon for all platforms (including Linux) I hope that this amazing browser will finally get the respect and market share it deserves. It is an unlikely prospect, but I still hope for it.

urukrama
June 28th, 2010, 09:49 AM
thanks, but unless its officially released as a plugin im not interested.

Why does it matter whether it is officially released as a plugin or not? That list of blocked urls works very well if you want to block ads and requires almost no work to set it up.

prodigy_
June 28th, 2010, 11:07 AM
By my standards anything w/o easily available content removal features (like AdBlock+ and R.I.P.) doesn't deserve to be called a modern Web browser. Ergo, Opera is just another useless piece of proprietary code wrapped in an awkward UI.

aladinonl
June 28th, 2010, 01:54 PM
By my standards anything w/o easily available content removal features (like AdBlock+ and R.I.P.) doesn't deserve to be called a modern Web browser. Ergo, Opera is just another useless piece of proprietary code wrapped in an awkward UI.

That's pretty harsh if you know Opera's UI is the exemplary of all modern browsers. I personally think it has the most intuitive UI of all.

I like it when Opera has almost all essential functions so I don't have to hunt for my necessary addons and concern whether that particular addon will work with the new version.

And if you don't enable certain function, it will lie dormant.

Frogs Hair
June 28th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Opera looks like a nice browser and I may try it. I dislike ask.com because I installed an ask toolbar by mistake and it was major pain to get rid of. I had to do an advanced system restore to get the .dll out of system 32 in windows. I may try Opera if ask is not the default search engine .

YeOK
June 28th, 2010, 03:56 PM

Firefox, chrome, Internet Explorer etc.. also have no content blocking built in, Opera on the other hand does, the only thing they don't ship is the list of ads to block.

Setting up opera is as simple as, copying text to ~/.opera/urlfilter.ini.

Also, I happen to think Opera has the best looking UI of all browsers and unlike some, they actually care enough to make the Linux version as sexy as other platforms.

TyrantWave
June 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM
With Google Chrome, Opera has become irrelevant.

I disagree - Chrome is slower, and its UI is ugly as heck.

wkhasintha
June 28th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Opera has been around for a while, it should have gotten more user base than FF,Chrome altogther. I use it as my secondary browser in wondows with FF. pretty fast .

pricetech
June 28th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I like Opera, and have for a long time. I used it under windows since version 3 when I actually paid for it (shocking, isn't it ??) It also has a pretty good built in mail client that I have used in the past, though everything but my work email is web based now.

As far a plugins / addons, I tend to run without them since I support a lot of windows users ranging from noobish to completely illiterate and, as such, I need to keep my environment as close to theirs as possible to allow me a better chance of duplicating symptoms and testing solutions when issues crop up.

dakkar9999
June 28th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Love Opera when I'm on Windows. For some reason, Opera is really slooww in Linux.

If speed was on par with the other browsers, I'd be using it, but right now it's Chromium FTW!

prodigy_
June 29th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Firefox, chrome, Internet Explorer etc.. also have no content blocking built in, Opera on the other hand does
True, except Firefox and Chrome have readily available plug-ins. And Opera built-in solution isn't usable.

/yawn