PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu and its meaning

slooksterpsv
June 27th, 2010, 11:54 PM
So I found the word ubuntu on the internet and found it's meaning according to Wikipedia (granted, take all information with a grain of salt). Here's what it says:

Archbishop Desmond Tutu offered a definition in a 1999 book:[3]
A person with Ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed.
Archbishop Desmond Tutu further explained Ubuntu in 2008:
One of the sayings in our country is Ubuntu - the essence of being human. Ubuntu speaks particularly about the fact that you can't exist as a human being in isolation. It speaks about our interconnectedness. You can't be human all by yourself, and when you have this quality - Ubuntu - you are known for your generosity.
We think of ourselves far too frequently as just individuals, separated from one another, whereas you are connected and what you do affects the whole world. When you do well, it spreads out; it is for the whole of humanity.
Louw (1998) suggests that the concept of ubuntu defines the individual in their several relationships with others, and stresses the importance of ubuntu as a religious concept. He states that while the Zulu maxim umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu ("a person is a person through (other) persons") may have no apparent religious connotations in the context of Western society, in an African context it suggests that the person one is to become by behaving with humanity is an ancestor worthy of respect or veneration. Those who uphold the principle of ubuntu throughout their lives will, in death, achieve a unity with those still living.
Nelson Mandela explained Ubuntu as follows:
A traveler through a country would stop at a village and he didn't have to ask for food or for water. Once he stops, the people give him food, entertain him. That is one aspect of Ubuntu but it will have various aspects. Ubuntu does not mean that people should not enrich themselves. The question therefore is: Are you going to do so in order to enable the community around you to be able to improve?

Now I like these meanings, it makes sense, it give better prospect to the word Ubuntu and the meaning of the OS Ubuntu as well. The only thing I don't think that it really has applied itself to is the Ubuntu Forums and here's why.

1. We need to be nice, if someone posts something in the wrong area, give a gentle nudge in the right area, don't be rude and just say "This needs to be in forum xyz, not here." - I would have said "Hey great post, normally we'd want this to go in xyz, but you're ok, just a heads up."

2. People are relentlessly pointing rules this, or rules that, ok I understand we should read the rules, but sometimes we need help on a matter quickly so we can continue our experience. A gentle, while you're waiting for someone to respond with a resolution, go ahead and read xyz post - as it will make the forums a more enjoyable experience.

3. I know this post will probably get removed cause of "drama" it may cause, but I've actually had to stop using different forums in the past cause I've felt like I was "bullied". I love the forums and I'm on them daily, before work, after work, in my spare time when I wanna see what's happening, but if I feel I've been "bullied" out of a post, I close the forums and usually don't come back for a week or two. When that happens I consider removing Ubuntu cause the Forums need to show a reflection of what Ubuntu is about. Sometimes I'll look at other OS'es cause I don't feel Ubuntu is living up to its name due to the Ubuntu Forums.

In short, can we all just get along, be nice and polite towards one another, and give gentle pushes in the right directions as needed and as appropriate? If not, I've been on the SuSE Forums - I don't really like SuSE though - but the SuSE forums keep making me want to use SuSE cause of the atmosphere they give.

Just a suggestion all, sorry if this breaks the rules :(.

murderslastcrow
June 28th, 2010, 12:47 AM
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct

I think everyone who uses these forums should be aware that we do have a code of conduct which is meant to protect our community from having the sort of issues you're alluding to.

The 'rules' are meant to make things easier for everyone, however. That noted, I believe that you can infer from this code of conduct that gently pointing someone to the right place rather than telling them their question was stupid or attacking them personally is the prefered course of action.

Our community seems a lot nicer than it has been in the past, but there are still places where we could use a little improvement. We should be kind in our criticism if the criticism is necessary, and always respect our fellows, and that includes Windows users. If they cause a ruckus, they'll be banned- no need to make yourself look bad by insulting them first. Just a small example.

NightwishFan
June 28th, 2010, 01:04 AM
If someone is causing you or another problems, do not interject. Just use the Report button. That just means the mods will take a look and take action if necessary. I agree I have felt bullied in the past as well, though not nearly as much now.