PDA

View Full Version : Us world cup!!!

Rey117
June 27th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Hey Football lovers! For those Americans who watch and love football(soccer) we can bring it home! Go to www.gousabid.com and sign the petition to bring the Fifa World Cup to the United States for 2018/2022!

fatality_uk
June 27th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I'll sign if you promise to STOP calling it soccer :)

Sealbhach
June 27th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I'll sign if you promise to STOP calling it soccer :)

They already have football over there, so it makes sense to call it soccer.

Anyway, the US already had the world cup in 94 and studiously ignored it.

Rey117
June 28th, 2010, 12:30 AM
they only reason I called it soccer is for the people that don't know what I'm talking about I always call it football bc duh you use ur feet.

Chronon
June 28th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Via Wikipedia:

The rules of football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863, and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of football played at the time, specifically rugby football. The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word "association",[5] often credited to former England captain Charles Wreford-Brown.[6]

Rey117
June 28th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Via Wikipedia:

nice. But rugby football is now called well rugby and hispanics here in the US refer to soccer as futból soccer

oldsoundguy
June 28th, 2010, 12:58 AM
World cup in the USA? Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are right (pun intended) .. it is a left wing plot to destroy the morality and strength of the US!!

new_tolinux
June 28th, 2010, 01:06 AM
As long as there are no program changes and no TV-talk about it, I really don't mind it being in the US.
A nice end away from here, so it'll be nice and quiet around here :lolflag:

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 28th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Pretty sure 2018 would be in Europe, may be a joint bid. Would be nice to see The Netherlands and Belgium host it.

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 28th, 2010, 02:00 AM
World cup in the USA? Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are right (pun intended) .. it is a left wing plot to destroy the morality and strength of the US!!

Oh man, really? Pathetic. Glad that we don't have such clowns here.

oldsoundguy
June 28th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Oh man, really? Pathetic. Glad that we don't have such clowns here.

In actuality .. TRUE! Both of those idiots have, several times, entered into rants on their programs against "soccer" and its "waste of time" on US television. Do a search on Google and you can find several You Tube postings by those jerks!

Rey117
June 28th, 2010, 04:54 PM
lol people would be annoyed if the world cup is here...they would be like "the music is too loud" or "why is there people dancing at 3 in the morning"....americans are annoyed by everything.

Simian Man
June 28th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I don't especially want it here, but it'd be nice to have it somewhere where the matches can be televised a little later in the day in America. Watching sports at 9:30 just feels strange.

Rey117
June 28th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I have to watch it here at 830

Half-Left
June 28th, 2010, 05:50 PM
In actuality .. TRUE! Both of those idiots have, several times, entered into rants on their programs against "soccer" and its "waste of time" on US television. Do a search on Google and you can find several You Tube postings by those jerks!

The Americans love their own sports and they expect everyone else to come over there to play with them.

You'll find that Americans use the word "Soccer" because their information is so out of date. They hijacked the word football, for their own sport because they thought the English still used the word Soccer(we stopped using it decades ago). :D

American Football rarely uses the foot, ironically since it's more equivalent to our rugby and nothing like English football.

Ric_NYC
June 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I don't especially want it here, but it'd be nice to have it somewhere where the matches can be televised a little later in the day in America. Watching sports at 9:30 just feels strange.

I agree 100%.

Elfy
June 28th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Not as strange as watching it at 6:30 here if you get it on the eastern seaboard :)

Half-Left
June 28th, 2010, 06:08 PM

Maybe you should check out that invention for recording TV. :p

sydbat
June 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM
The Americans love their own sports and they expect everyone else to come over there to play with them.

You'll find that Americans use the word "Soccer" because their information is so out of date. They hijacked the word football, for their own sport because they thought the English still used the word Soccer(we stopped using it decades ago). :D

American Football rarely uses the foot, ironically since it's more equivalent to our rugby and nothing like English football.Actually, the American "football" game was stolen from the Canadian "Rugby Football" that had slightly different rules than "traditional" rugby. Canadian Football was first played in 1861. The Americans claimed they invented it 8 years later in 1869 and then changed it to so it was easier for them to play.

Canada's Grey Cup (bought by Lord Earl Grey and originally presented by him as a 'challenge cup') is 98 this year...as opposed to the US Super Bowl only being 43.

CFL History (http://www.cflgreycup.ca/page/his_timeline)
NFL History (http://www.nfl.com/history/chronology/1869-1910)

On topic - I agree with those who are saying that if the US hosts the World Cup, the apathy of the American public will be epic.

Simian Man
June 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Not as strange as watching it at 6:30 here if you get it on the eastern seaboard :)
Yeah that would be much worse.

I guess it's not the actual sports watching that early that feels weird so much as the drinking beer :).

Half-Left
June 28th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Actually, the American "football" game was stolen from the Canadian "Rugby Football" that had slightly different rules than "traditional" rugby. Canadian Football was first played in 1861. The Americans claimed they invented it 8 years later in 1869 and then changed it to so it was easier for them to play.

Canada's Grey Cup (bought by Lord Earl Grey and originally presented by him as a 'challenge cup') is 98 this year...as opposed to the US Super Bowl only being 43.

CFL History (http://www.cflgreycup.ca/page/his_timeline)
NFL History (http://www.nfl.com/history/chronology/1869-1910)

On topic - I agree with those who are saying that if the US hosts the World Cup, the apathy of the American public will be epic.

The US did hosted the World Cup but like Formula One, they're not really that interested. That's fine with me.

Rey117
June 28th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Actually, the American "football" game was stolen from the Canadian "Rugby Football" that had slightly different rules than "traditional" rugby. Canadian Football was first played in 1861. The Americans claimed they invented it 8 years later in 1869 and then changed it to so it was easier for them to play.

NFL History ("]CFL History[/URL]
[URL=")

the only reason I don't like the US is because they regulate EVERYTHING!! It's sad that country can't have fun like the rest of the world.

mips
June 28th, 2010, 08:17 PM
lol people would be annoyed if the world cup is here...they would be like "the music is too loud" or "why is there people dancing at 3 in the morning"....americans are annoyed by everything.

Erm, the USA hosted the 1994 FIFA World Cup http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup in case some people have forgotten...

Rey117
June 28th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Erm, the USA hosted the 1994 FIFA World Cup [url] in case some people have forgotten...

really? Who would forget 94' world cup where stryker was the mascot? My dad has crap loads of stryker stickers lol

yester64
June 28th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I think i might be not well informed for living here in the US, but every time i listen to the radio (npr) or watch TV there is almost no mentioning of the world cup at all.
Except if the US wins. So almost never.
I don't watch a lot of TV, but there is no mentioning of the local soccer team either.
Remembering that in germany the local american football did got coverage, i am very disappointed about how media cover sports here.
But like i mentioned i rarely follow the TV. Is there eventually coverage i miss? Not pay TV, but regular TV?
Its not like that there are no people watching, but it is a minority.
Do these athletes get good money? Not sure about that either.
American football folded its operation in germany some years ago, soccer still lives here. So there is hope at least.

JDShu
June 28th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I wish for the popularization of American football abroad, and soccer in the United States. They are both great games. By the same token, I hope that rugby becomes more popular in the U.S as well as other non-rugby crazed countries across the world.

Rey117
June 28th, 2010, 09:26 PM
cricket anyone?:lolflag:

yester64
June 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I wish for the popularization of American football abroad, and soccer in the United States. They are both great games. By the same token, I hope that rugby becomes more popular in the U.S as well as other non-rugby crazed countries across the world.

Not sure about that.
I think it is a cultural thing that will prevent a sport to gain popularity.
As a european, american football or baseball is quite boring. And i think its the same to US americans watching soccer.
That said, it says nothing about the sports. I think the US will continue to have a soccer team, but no one really will care if they win or loose. Because soccer is like a sport thats a mistake here.
This is my observation and seeing how much coverage exist if at all tells stories.
Geez, even american football over there gets some coverage in the local tv.
I compare it usually like this. Soccer is like Icehockey. Kinda similar in a way. Both are not really big here.
One thing i am not certain about, why the phrase soccer mom exist. Soccer is not popular here really.

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2010, 09:38 PM
cricket anyone?:lolflag:

Now don't you go knocking Cricket .

Thats just not good form what .

JDShu
June 28th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Not sure about that.
I think it is a cultural thing that will prevent a sport to gain popularity.
As a european, american football or baseball is quite boring. And i think its the same to US americans watching soccer.
That said, it says nothing about the sports. I think the US will continue to have a soccer team, but no one really will care if they win or loose. Because soccer is like a sport thats a mistake here.
This is my observation and seeing how much coverage exist if at all tells stories.
Geez, even american football over there gets some coverage in the local tv.
I compare it usually like this. Soccer is like Icehockey. Kinda similar in a way. Both are not really big here.
One thing i am not certain about, why the phrase soccer mom exist. Soccer is not popular here really.

I guess as somebody who has lived in very different places in the world, I've learned to appreciate both sports. I think as globalization expands, more people will be able to do the same.

mips
June 28th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Now don't you go knocking Cricket .

Thats just not good form what .

He can knock 5 day test series all he wants :D

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM
He can knock 5 day test series all he wants :D

Now thats just not British :p

Rey117
June 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM
In Monterrey, Mexico we cover almost all sports even American Football. American Football is big in Monterrey as most people don't know Mexico has a college level Football league and NFL scouts go to Monterrey to draft players for cheap. Not to mention the Borregos team has won the championship like 12 times in a row lol.

Elfy
June 28th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Now thats just not British :p

I really wish it wasn't :lol:

Perfect Storm
June 28th, 2010, 10:10 PM

Only if you're going to have a beer or two while watching...

Rey117
June 28th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Only if you're going to have a beer or two while watching...

you know what they say if you drink before 11 a.m..lol

Rey117
June 29th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I don't mind a beer right now myself....

grahammechanical
June 29th, 2010, 01:46 PM
You can have it as far as I am concerned. Anyone but England. We don't deserve it. First we need a world beating team. Then we can apply to stage the world cup. I didn't want the Olympics either. I wanted the French to get it. Let them have the expense. I do not care who hosts these events just don't increase my taxes to pay for it. Some hope.

Rey117
June 29th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I would say do it in Mexico but that be 3 times we would have hosted it :lolflag:

MindSz
June 29th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Well, next one's in Brazil so it should be more in-sync with American schedules (and I mean America the continent)