PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help, Ubuntu 10.04 keeps flashing.

edissono
June 27th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Well hello. I just recently installed Ubuntu 10.04. Every time I boot it up the screen flashes, like going off, then on again. It won't stop doing that. I can see the screen for 1 sec then it goes black, and keeps repeating this. Can anyone help me please?

fr0sty
June 27th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Sorry if I am asking a redundant question... You were able to install ubuntu and now it flashes, or you are trying to install and the screen is flashing? Post the specs of your comp, and we may be able to help if it is hardware issues.

edissono
June 27th, 2010, 09:53 PM
General Spec
Brand HP
Series Pavilion
Model M9400F(FK790AA)
Type Media Center / HTPC
Processor AMD Phenom X4 9750(2.4GHz)
Processor Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Cache Per Processor 4 x 512KB L2 Cache
Memory 8GB DDR2 800
Hard Drive 750GB SATA 7200RPM
Optical Drive 1 SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3650 graphics card with 512MB dedicated graphics memory, DVI, HDMI and VGA capabilities, and support for Microsoft DirectX 10. Up to 2303MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista
Audio High Definition Audio
Ethernet Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
Wireless Card Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n
Keyboard HP multimedia keyboard
Mouse HP optical mouse
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard
Chipset NVIDIA nForce 430
CPU
CPU Type Phenom X4
Installed Qty 1
CPU Speed 9750(2.4GHz)
L2 Cache Per CPU 4 x 512KB
CPU Socket Type AM2+
CPU Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Graphics
GPU/VPU Type ATI Radeon HD 3650
Graphics Interface PCI Express x16
Memory
Memory Capacity 8GB DDR2
Memory Speed DDR2 800
Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
Memory Spec 2GB x 4
Memory Slots (Available/Total) 0/4
Maximum Memory Supported 8GB
Hard Drive
HDD Capacity 750GB
HDD Interface SATA
HDD RPM 7200rpm

I know half of this stuff is useless. Umm I installed it 20 mins ago. When I boot it up, it flashes, blinks, I really don't know how to explain. The screen turns black for a second, then normal for a sec, then black for a second, then normal, and just keeps repeating.

fr0sty
June 27th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Well on an unrelated note, that is a pretty kickass system. Now on a related note. I think your issue may be that your graphics card is an ATI graphics card. I personally haven't worked with an ATI graphics card myself, but it seems that there is a lack of support for those cards. Sorry about not really having a clue to how you fix it.

ronparent
June 27th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Which graphics port are you using. If you can, will switching to another port work? If that doesn't work, try booting with the nomodeset parameter.

If one of the above options work, you can probably activate the proprietary video driver and restore your preferred video hookup and eliminate the nomodeset with no further problems.

RJARRRPCGP
June 28th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I had a similar problem with the nv driver, when using Kubuntu in the past and using the proprietary driver solved the problem, at least with Nvidia.

I only saw a problem like that with KDE.