PDA

View Full Version : Moods in different houses.

dragos240
June 27th, 2010, 06:26 PM
For some odd reason, I will wake up and feel wide awake at one house (my dad's house), and then feel like it's 11pm and it's time to catch some sleep at my mom's house. Not sure why this happens, what do you think?

quinnten83
June 27th, 2010, 06:32 PM
There is no answer that I could give you that could be considered politically correct.

NightwishFan
June 27th, 2010, 07:26 PM
It must be the Zen flowing through the place. The colors of the wall may be far too calming or perhaps boring. Perhaps the lighting is too dark. The layout of the house may be distracting and disrupting the flow of energy. Or maybe I am making all of this up.

PartisanEntity
June 27th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I don't believe in Zen or any other such theory of energy flowing through houses.

In my opinion it boils down to light, colors and psychology. These have effects on us.

Bright colors, lots of sun light and open spaces make us feel refreshed and give us energy.

Dark colors, low light levels and confined spaces make us feel tired and lazy.

Also the relationship you have with parents might play a role here.

Sporkman
June 27th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Could be sunlight levels indoors & noise level (inside & from outside).

patchwork
June 28th, 2010, 03:21 AM
...or carbon monoxide...

steveneddy
June 28th, 2010, 06:59 AM
For some odd reason, I will wake up and feel wide awake at one house (my dad's house), and then feel like it's 11pm and it's time to catch some sleep at my mom's house. Not sure why this happens, what do you think?

poltergeist

chessnerd
June 28th, 2010, 07:26 AM
This is from my rudimentary understanding of psychology from taking a college-level psych class:

I have the same basic experiences. I feel much more alert when I am not in my own house. The less time I have spent in a place, the more alert I am. For example, by the end of my freshman year at college, I found myself to be very relaxed at my dorm and in the Linux lab, but not relaxed when in the art building.

When something is familiar, parts of our brains do actually fall sleep. When you've seen something over and over, you stop noticing it. Your brain can fool itself into thinking that an object is there when it isn't, or that something is fine when it is broken. Your brain doesn't actually take the time to really analyze something it has seen many times before.

Likely, you feel sleepier because your mind is bored there. Someone mentioned Zen earlier. I don't think Zen is complete hokum. Our minds do respond to certain patterns. But I don't think you need to get a copy of Zen for Dummies to feel more awake. I am pretty sure that if you were to move furniture around into any new pattern, it would make you feel more awake because it would be a new sensation for your brain.

This is why you felt excited when you first started using Linux. It was new, different, and your brain was getting massive amounts of stimulation. Now, you barely even notice the panels, fonts, and color scheme. Trying out a new DE on your system will actually make you feel more awake when using your computer. However, it might distract you if you actually want to get down to work, which is exactly why our brains shut that stuff out. If you analyzed everything over and over again, you would constantly be distracted by the same clock or the same browser logo. Not only that, your brain would be worn down by the end of the day because it would be using so many resources.

julio_cortez
June 28th, 2010, 10:45 AM
This is why you felt excited when you first started using Linux. It was new, different, and your brain was getting massive amounts of stimulation. Now, you barely even notice the panels, fonts, and color scheme. Trying out a new DE on your system will actually make you feel more awake when using your computer.
This is totally unrelated but.. Well, it looks like we found the cause of "distroholic diseases" here :lolflag:

On a more serious note: I can confirm that changing/moving furniture or even just painting the walls differently can make one feel "less bored/tired".

Another thing I read here and I can confirm is that the "mood" of the very same room can be very different if the light is provided by the sun (it's happier to some extent) or if the light is artificial (closed windows + electric light, which gives a "sad" look to the room).