PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Invalid Format" when trying to boot Ubuntu

jenokawa
June 27th, 2010, 12:45 PM
(Before I start, can I just say that I've joined these forums to ask this question, and I don't really know where to post this - sorry if i've put my question in the wrong section of the forum or something :S)

I've been looking into trying out ubuntu, having heard good things about it online, so I went to http://wubi-installer.org/ to try it out by dual-booting it alongside windows xp. I installed ubuntu, rebooted my pc and selected 'Ubuntu' at the boot menu, but after this screen (http://humphreybc.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/boot1.png), the monitor goes black and my TV displays the bouncing message of 'Invalid Format'.

I've tried booting in safe graphics mode, which unfortunately didn't solve anything (or maybe I did it wrong). When looking online I've seen it seems to happen to lots of people with monitors like mine that can show TV and DVD as well as pc.

I'd appreciate any help, I'm reasonably tech-savvy but I've never tried Ubuntu before.

Chame_Wizard
June 27th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I read that WUBI is giving problems,if Ubuntu is installed INSIDE Winblows.

darkod
June 27th, 2010, 04:56 PM
First, wubi is not a dual boot along side XP, it will be inside XP.

This is mostly due to video driver. What you can try is after selecting Ubuntu in the windows bootloader, when you see the grub2 menu after that, highlight the ubuntu entry but don't hit Enter. Hit 'e' instead.

When the boot lines show, use the arrows keys and End to go to the end of the line starting with linux. At the end add nomodeset. Press Ctrl + X to try and boot.

If that works, there is a way to make it a permanent fix, the above method is only temporary.

jenokawa
June 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks for replying!

Sorry,darkod, but I'm not sure what the grub2 menu is. I've never tried anything other than windows until now, so I'm new to booting anything else. I'll try what you say, though, and see how far I can get.

thanks again!

darkod
June 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks for replying!

Sorry,darkod, but I'm not sure what the grub2 menu is. I've never tried anything other than windows until now, so I'm new to booting anything else. I'll try what you say, though, and see how far I can get.

thanks again!

The grub2 menu is the second boot menu you get after selecting Ubuntu in the windows bootloader. You should get a second menu asking what you want to boot.

jenokawa
June 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM
The grub2 menu is the second boot menu you get after selecting Ubuntu in the windows bootloader. You should get a second menu asking what you want to boot.

I understand, I'll go ahead and try it. Thanks for having patience with me!

EDIT: I've done as you said, and the text 'Booting a command list' appears after I finish and press Ctrl+X. It then claims that '...root.disk does not exist' and that it is 'dropping to a shell' - from then on I can only type in commands or restart. Does this mean there are more problems, or have I done something wrong? :(