PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy an iPhone 4 even if you can't get proper reception to make phone calls?

HappinessNow
June 27th, 2010, 09:35 AM
...and this time they can't blame ATT!

I read an article that stated that the age of expecting to be able to sustain long phone conversations is not needed in todays world and the iPhone 4 is the best smartphone to date. I found it ironic that the best smartphone can not keep reception or it is dependent on how you hold it, or you can buy a plastic gizzy to fix it, or put a piece of duct tape on it...

Any other company this would have been called a Massive Fail, but with the legions of investors and fans of Apple call it a success.

What are your thoughts? Massive Fail or overwhelming Success? Would you buy an iPhone 4? or opt for the latest and greatest of Android devices? Nexus One, HTC EVO, Motorola Droid X?,etc, etc?

TheNessus
June 27th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I'm pretty happy with my E72. Push Mail is and keys is all I need.

gnomeuser
June 27th, 2010, 09:48 AM
hrmm, it's a toss up. I can have my N900 which screws up it's connection without any big warnings every time I switch networks (e.g. leaving the house wifi -> 3G), leaving you with missed calls and automatic redirection of skype calls (which costs you money). Nokia being entirely inept at fixing the issue and preferring to keep patches internal for big code dumps instead of allowing rapid testing and fixes.. or an iPhone what loses signal when I pick it up.

Really.. are these my choices?

NITDroid, only you can save me now.

Spr0k3t
June 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Even if android was not on the same grounds of competing against the current release of the iphone, I would still get an android based phone. For simple reasons really.

1. Apple store... they deny content, Google Marketplace... I haven't seen one denied yet.
2. iphone did not work "out of the box" prior to 10.04 release... still had to install itunes somehow. I haven't seen an android based phone not work with Linux (even works well with puppy)
3. Apple... android phones are not apple = epic win!

I hate one company more than I hate Microsoft... that would be Apple.

Chame_Wizard
June 27th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I rather have a Nexus one ,thank you very much.:guitar:

Dr. C
June 27th, 2010, 04:09 PM
A cell phone that cannot make calls in an emergency because of a design flaw should be recalled because it can cost lives.

prshah
June 27th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Well I choose to vote with my wallet; I can't afford an iPhone; and even if I could, I'd rather buy 2 Android phones (specifically, Samsung Spica), and still have loose change leftover.

llua+
June 27th, 2010, 05:02 PM
use a cellphone to CALL people? pfft. why would i need that?

beetleman64
June 27th, 2010, 05:24 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't buy an iPhone 4 anyway as I prefer more open formats such as Symbian and Android. And anyway, there's already an iPhone that doesn't make calls, it's called an iPod Touch.

Screwdriver0815
June 27th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Nexus ONE for me - the order is out :guitar: :D

I never would buy an iPhone. Even when it had the best reception in the universe

reason: when I can get a phone with a Linux OS on it, why should I buy an Apple product

nubimax
June 27th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I have no need for a smart phone of any kind. I do not have a regular cell phone, and I am thinking of having my land line phone removed, because I never use it.
M.

PartisanEntity
June 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I was hyped up about buying an iPhone 4 to replace my iPhone 3G. But I will hold off until Apple fixes this issue with reception.

prodigy_
June 27th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't buy an iPhone even if it were iPhone 10 and I could get it for free, because:

1) I hate Apple - it's about 10 times as evil as M$.
2) I'm perfectly satisfied with my Sony Ericsson.

KiwiNZ
June 27th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I wouldn't buy an iPhone even if it were iPhone 10 and I could get it for free, because:

1) I hate Apple - it's about 10 times as evil as M$.
2) I'm perfectly satisfied with my Sony Ericsson.

I bet the staff at Apple can type MS correctly :rolleyes:

The S is between the A and D keys on your standard qwerty keyboard

prodigy_
June 27th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I bet the staff at Apple can type MS correctly

But it's not MS, it's M$. ;-)

KiwiNZ
June 27th, 2010, 09:11 PM

You may have noted that on these Forums we "actively" encourage members to move on from that dated rubbish. * end subtle mode*

splicerr
June 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM

Q9550, ASUS P5Q Deluxe, 8GiB RAM, 3x1TB HDDs, 4870x2, X-Fi Platinum, Dell 3008WFP, Windows 7

Strange how it's always the users of Microsoft software who use this childish spelling. Why you even use Microsoft software when they are so evil is beyond me.

Lightstar
June 27th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I would not buy an iPhone 4 even WITH good reception.

markusf21
June 27th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I would buy one if it cost 10 bucks and came with a jackpot winning lotto ticket. But that's the only way

tgalati4
June 28th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I would definitely take the chance on a lottery ticket.

IPhone4? Not so much.

murderslastcrow
June 28th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I'm not really big on cell phones in the first place. The only kind I would like is one of the newer Android based ones with more memory, or simply an AIGO- a computer that happens to make phone calls. I don't see the point of having a phone that can do anything less than the most a phone can do. iOS is not the best at handling what I would want to do with a mobile companion.

So if it's not that great AND can't make phone calls, which should be a phone's primary objective, then why would I want it in the first place?

Oh right, it has a little bitten into apple on it, OF COURSE I WANT IT. </sarcasm>

Pardon my rudeness, but I tend not to like things that suck.

Matthewthegreat
June 28th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Nexus ONE for me - the order is out :guitar: :D

I never would buy an iPhone. Even when it had the best reception in the universe

reason: when I can get a phone with a Linux OS on it, why should I buy an Apple product

+1 I really don't understand why anyone would get a iphone when android is a option.

For example, I'm planing a trip next mouth and I will be away from a power for awhile so I bought another battery for my droid from amazon. If I had a iphone I would have had to leave it home because it doesn't have a removable battery.

Plus, even if I wanted a iphone, where I live we have no AT&T coverage but Verizon on the other has 3g. So, the choice was even clearer for me.

I'm a very happy droid user! :guitar:

aysiu
June 28th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I don't know what to make of these poll results. I suspect a lot of people voted no simply because they don't want an iPhone at all, regardless of the reception problem.

Isn't your question really "If you did originally want an iPhone, would this new reception problem deter you from wanting it any more?" If not, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. If so, the poll doesn't really show those results.

pwnst*r
June 28th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I would definitely buy one if there wasn't the choice of either the Evo or the DroidX. My iphone 3G and 3Gs are really good phones.

CharlesA
June 28th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Isn't the "fix" to bad reception on the iPhone 4 just putting it in a case?

I still wouldn't get one, too expensive and I don't need a damn smartphone.

My manager got one and was flaunting it around. *snickers* Good job on spending 600 bucks for a phone.

formaldehyde_spoon
June 28th, 2010, 02:26 AM
You may have noted that on these Forums we ''actively'' encourage members to move on from that dated rubbish. * end subtle hind mode*

The 'T' key is between the 'R' and the 'Y'.

I would definitely buy one if there wasn't the choice of either the Evo or the DroidX. My iphone 3G and 3Gs are really good phones.

I can't disagree with this. Only the Evo and DroidX are currently better options than the iPhone4.

The gyroscope control looks very cool, hope it becomes commonplace.

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2010, 02:33 AM
The 'T' key is between the 'R' and the 'Y'.

I can't disagree with this. Only the Evo and DroidX are currently better options than the iPhone4.

The gyroscope control looks very cool, hope it becomes commonplace.

Don't make me destroy you :evil:

Dustin2128
June 28th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I would never buy an iphone, even the 3 would have trouble out where I live with reception. AT&T simply does not work. That and I hate apple, and agree with almost everything android stands for. And the Moto Droid when going with verizon is only 150$ with a 2 year contract.

formaldehyde_spoon
June 28th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Don't make me destroy you :evil:

My edit was too slow:

You may have noted that on these Forums we ''actively'' encourage members to move on from that dated rubbish. * end subtle hind mode* Your personal feelings would be just as strong if someone made a play on 'Google' I hope? If not, hopefully you are objective enough to 'subtly encourage' the perpetrator to avoid doing it.

pwnst*r
June 28th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I would never buy an iphone, even the 3 would have trouble out where I live with reception. AT&T simply does not work. That and I hate apple, and agree with almost everything android stands for. And the Moto Droid when going with verizon is only 150$ with a 2 year contract.

Bad choice. The X will be $199 with a two year contract and the Droid2 probably the same price once it's release date is announced soon.

HappinessNow
June 28th, 2010, 05:46 AM
+1 I really don't understand why anyone would get a iphone when android is a option.

For example, I'm planing a trip next mouth and I will be away from a power for awhile so I bought another battery for my droid from amazon. If I had a iphone I would have had to leave it home because it doesn't have a removable battery.

Plus, even if I wanted a iphone, where I live we have no AT&T coverage but Verizon on the other has 3g. So, the choice was even clearer for me.

I'm a very happy droid user! :guitar:True story:

I was at a friends' house, while I was showing Doodle Jump on my Nexus One to my friend, our other mutual friend whips out his new iPhone, very excited to show he has Doodle Jump also...

As my friend proceeds to play Doodle Jump on the Nexus One the iPhone is still struggling to boot the game, suddenly our "iPhone friend" jumps for joy that the game has finally booted then he begins to look disappointed and sad as his iPhone dies, battery died and he has no charger he is dead in the water.

As my friend proceeds to play, I notice the Nexus One battery also is about to die, I show our "iPhone friend" how easy it is to take the back off the Nexus One and I slip the extra fully charged battery in my pocket into the Nexus One and all is good for the rest of the night, even with extreme game playing.

When Apple begins to make iPhones that you can easily change the batteries on then perhaps they will be in the same ballfield but at this point they are not.

I don't know what to make of these poll results. I suspect a lot of people voted no simply because they don't want an iPhone at all, regardless of the reception problem.

Isn't your question really "If you did originally want an iPhone, would this new reception problem deter you from wanting it any more?" If not, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. If so, the poll doesn't really show those results.
Thread/poll is fine as is.

Whether or not some one had original intent to buy an iPhone or not really doesn't matter at this point, with such a massive fail from Apple; this design flaw either deterred people who may have had intent to buy an iPhone or it cemented in the minds of those who choose not to buy one in the first place why they make that choice and serves as yet another factor that reinforces this choice.

Thirdly, with the constant flow of more and more advanced Androids, people will be making the choice against iPhones by default regardless whether or not you can make phone calls or not on the iPhone.

Johnsie
June 28th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I have the HTC Desire and I love it... it really is a superphone. It is very very pretty and it also works when i hold it ;-)

I also love my nokia E63 which sadly isn't being used as much anymore but is still a great phone.