PDA

View Full Version : what video editor do you use

kmsalex
June 27th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I've had a bunch of videos I've been meaning to get around to but have been putting off for months because video editing with ubuntu had always been a head ache, with school letting out for the summer this past Thursday i desisted to get down to it after 2 days working on just a had full of videos, wasting hours encoding just having to delete and start over again, or being half way though the project and just having the program go unresponsive, or totally crash. not to mention the lack of simple feaches like transitions! i seem to have settled on openshoot, though it's still a long way from what i'd like, so far i've tryed (in this order) pitivi, avidemux, open movie editor, and now openshot.
pitivi had almost no fetchers, and locked up alot, and gave bad outputs after encrypting, avidemux had almost no fetchers and wouldn't import almost any file i tryed, open movie editor wouldn't even start, and now I've settled on openshot, but I'm still not as happy as I'd like to be.

what editor do you use? and please don't tell me one of the first 3, any recommendations for what i could use? All suggestions are appreciated :)

Regards,
Alex

devondashla
June 27th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Kino is definitely up there in the list, although I've never been bothered to use it.

I've heard of people using Blender, but I have no idea how that works out with a 3D modelling program.

Ooh, Cinelerra is definitely the most professional video editor for Linux. Although be warned, it is very complicated.

YuiDaoren
June 27th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Cinelerra.

It's not exactly intuitive, but once you get the hang of it you can do just about anything. Just be ready to spend some real time and effort getting the hang of it.

NightwishFan
June 27th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I like Pitivi for simple edits, I have used it for long before it was default in Ubuntu. It improves vastly in small amounts of time.

doorknob60
June 27th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Kdenlive. It's great (when it works right, which it does usually). Here's some very good tutorial videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/thisweekinlinux#grid/user/602F0DE4A97B0E65

Pitivi's good for some more simple video editing, and Openshot, well, it doesn't really ever work right when I try to use it, though it looks pretty nice :P

WinterRain
June 27th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I don't use a video editor because I don't have a life worth recording.

Primefalcon
June 27th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I don't use a video editor because I don't have a life worth recording.
kdenlive and pitivi

WinterRain
June 27th, 2010, 07:25 AM
kdenlive and pitivi

wow

NightwishFan
June 27th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Strange comment though I am inclined to agree. I never have videos of myself. :)

stmiller
June 27th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Final Cut Express. :P

I like pitivi - it is simple and works with ffmpeg's vast capabilities.

As soon as pitivi adda transitions, text, and other basic iMovie type stuff it will rock.

dragos240
June 27th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Openshot and pitivi.

Techsnap
June 27th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Windows Movie Maker. No joke I'm not really into video editing so I just use WMM, it's simple and does the job I want it to which is basically editing screen captures.

I also use Cyberlink PowerDirector to make title screens and stuff because WMM isn't exactly that brilliant for making your own effects. I don't know why they dropped WMM in Windows 7 because the Windows Live Movie Maker is a load of crap IMO. More reasons to stick to Vista over 7 :)

Simian Man
June 27th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Pitivi here too, it's getting a lot better. And unlike most video editors on Linux, what they have working actually works well. In general it's easier to add features to a well-working program than stability to a featureful but buggy program.

kmsalex
June 27th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Windows Movie Maker. No joke I'm not really into video editing so I just use WMM, it's simple and does the job I want it to which is basically editing screen captures.

I also use Cyberlink PowerDirector to make title screens and stuff because WMM isn't exactly that brilliant for making your own effects. I don't know why they dropped WMM in Windows 7 because the Windows Live Movie Maker is a load of crap IMO. More reasons to stick to Vista over 7 :)

man i don't think you relised your on an ubuntu linux form, guess i should have been more clear about it being linux, thanks for everyones suggestions. i realy hope pitivi improves alot to only because i like it's interface more then any otherones. but rights now i'm trying to install cinelerra, feel free to keep the suggestions coming :)

Techsnap
June 27th, 2010, 06:53 PM
man i don't think you relised your on an ubuntu linux form, guess i should have been more clear about it being linux, thanks for everyones suggestions. i realy hope pitivi improves alot to only because i like it's interface more then any otherones. but rights now i'm trying to install cinelerra, feel free to keep the suggestions coming :)

I do realise that I'm on UF but this is the Community Café where it's not strictly Ubuntu discussions. It would have been more appropriate if you specified that it had to be a Linux app and since the question is:

what video editor do you useThen I answered your question, you didn't specifically say, what Linux video editors do we use because you want to try one out.

unknownPoster
June 27th, 2010, 07:09 PM
The few times that I've had to edit short films and clips (mostly for school) I've used Windows Movie Maker and iMovie. I like features from both. :)

lile001
July 5th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Pitivi is called that because it is pitiful. It is an extremely limited program. If you are editing a vid of your kid's birthday party it might work OK. Try deleting a blank space, adding a second audio or video track, or sticking in a still picture - doesn't do those things, or does them in unexpected ways. No transition effects. About all you can do with it is chop the length of your video or edit out the part when the bride falls in the pool. If you add a still picture it can only be tacked onto the end, not in the middle. There are no properties for tracks. You can cut (no paste) and sometimes you can drag things around, but that doesn't usually work either. I'll take KDenlive anytime, but save often it isn't real stable.

phillychease
July 5th, 2010, 06:04 PM
youtube - http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2010/06/edit-video-in-cloud-with-youtube-video.html
haha

naw but I use Windows to edit my videos. Sony vegas ftw.

DeadSuperHero
July 5th, 2010, 07:39 PM
KDEnlive for me. I love it.

Edit: I just wish that they'd hurry up and get WebM encoding going, it'd save me a lot of steps for getting my YouTube videos in WebM.

blur xc
July 5th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Openshot-

I'm doing my best to refrain from installing andy kde bloat onto my gnome system, which I did to run kdenlive when I was running 9.04. Openshot was one of my biggest motivations to upgrading to 10.04 (never got it to run right in 9.04).

My only gripe with all linux video editors is getting a output that will play on a default windows computer. Nothing I do works- some outputs work in vlc, but not everyone has vlc installed.

BM

NightwishFan
July 5th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Yes, outputs are currently very hard, even with unrestricted ffmpeg plugins. Though Pitivi is not as bad as the above poster said, and it is getting transitions, look for a PPA or source build. (Though it is unstable in the "oh crap it just had a segmentation fault" meaning as of right now). With all the attention and development of it, it should be fine soon. First make it work, and then optimize it right?

Groucho Marxist
July 6th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I work in broadcasting and use AVID and Final Cut Pro/Express if I don't have access to AVID.

dannyboy79
July 7th, 2010, 03:29 PM
i recently started creating vids for my youtube channel of my COD-MW2 gameplay on the xbox 360. I have tried WMM, Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultmiate HD, and Sony Vegas Pro 9 on windows but since I capture over firewire (dazzle hollywood dv bridge) to my main Lucid box using kino i wanted to stay in Linux. SO i have tried Openshot, Kdenlive, and Pitivi. Out of them all i like Kdenlive the best despite me running a gnome system.
Here's one of my latest youtube movies using kdenlive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR5wnuNO32A
i can overlay text, i can use transitions, use audio and video effects. i have had very minimal crashes to speak of and have learned to hit the save button after every edit which is ok with me. Wondering if somehow I can have it autosave every 1 minute? I like it a lot.

I was using Openshot for awhile but it seemed like I was getting better encoded xvid/mp3 files from kdenlive. I know that doesn't make sence due to them both supposedly using FFMPEG. I use the xvid 8k 2 pass render option with mp3. rescale video from 720x480 to 640x480 (not sure why though?)

Anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. Oh, when i use x264 and mp3, the text of my titles in both kdenlive and openshot are all fuzzy and can't be read so i am sticking with xvid until I figure out the x264 thing. Not to mention I can't seem to get aac audio working with the shared library mess in ubuntu.

Nano Geek
July 7th, 2010, 03:35 PM
iMovie