PDA

View Full Version : Liferea, found some great uses for it.

NightwishFan
June 27th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Liferea is an abbreviation for Linux Feed Reader, a news aggregator for online news feeds. It supports the major feed formats including RSS/RDF and Atom and can import and export subscription lists in OPML format. Liferea is intended to be a fast, easy to use, and easy to install news aggregator for GTK+ that can be used with the GNOME desktop.

Install Liferea On Ubuntu (apt://liferea)
Homepage: http://liferea.sourceforge.net/

I started using this to keep track of news and updates on OmgUbuntu and Planet Ubuntu/Debian/Gnome. I then found out that just entering most webpages, Liferea autodetects the feeds. So I now use it to keep track of Git updates on the Intel Xorg driver and the Gnome Shell. It also supports podcasting. I am not much of an internet guy but this helps a lot. :)

WinterRain
June 27th, 2010, 03:34 AM
I use opera's built in feed reader. Works great for my podcasts.

NightwishFan
June 27th, 2010, 03:41 AM
I am pretty sure firefox has a built in one, though I prefer to read all my feeds separate.

WinterRain
June 27th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I am pretty sure firefox has a built in one, though I prefer to read all my feeds separate.

I just figured that since I'm using my browser a lot anyway, all my feeds are right there. Meh, to each their own.

NightwishFan
June 27th, 2010, 03:56 AM
I can understand, but I never liked one program doing too much.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 27th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Indeed, Liferea is a must-try :)

Firefox's built in feeds stuff (“Live Bookmarks”) is really not a good sample of the power of RSS feeds. It has a neat role, but it isn't the same. The beautiful thing with a proper feed aggregator (Liferea being one) is that you can see, in one glance, all the new items from all your sources. The date of publication and update times are communicated really effectively, and it's possible to download those articles and read them offline.

This isn't just for news, either! I subscribe to bug trackers, code repositories (Launchpad does an excellent job with rss feeds), web comics, random projects that look dead but may jump to life some day…

In my case, I have 264 subscriptions which pump out hundreds (thousands?) of articles a day, so Liferea's very linear, “all articles are equal” design wasn't doing it for me. (And all the processing happening on my end kind of hurt). It works best for smaller yields.

I have abandoned my earlier vow to avoid web-based services “where possible” and I have fallen in love with Feedly (http://www.feedly.com) (which uses Google Reader). I probably won't be going back. Feedly has a really smart system that recommends items from my sources to populate beautiful looking magazine-style pages, where must-reads are highlighted with a more detailed summary and picture.
It's like having my own personal magazine editor who shares all my interests and doesn't sleep. Just a joy to read every morning.

I vaguely recall the Liferea people working on a similar start page design (pulling the popularity of an article from web services), so some day maybe there'll be other choices for me!

(Feedly is really hard to beat, though. Incredible stuff).

NightwishFan
June 27th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Exactly. I can keep up with the latest git logs so easy now. :D I am looking for more uses for it thanks for replying Mr. Picklesworth. Also your link to the other program. Though I think I will be ok for now. I will have to send a nice thank you to the Liferea devs.

MechaMechanism
June 27th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Please try Yarssr. I use it and love it. It's a simple one, so complex setups might need something different. I just use mine for rss feeds that need to be monitored constantly.

Available in Ubuntu
http://yarssr.sf.net

NightwishFan
June 27th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the link my friend. :)

K_REY_C
July 23rd, 2010, 03:52 AM
Anyone know how to have liferea pull more than the most recent 25 items? This might be a stupid question but I simply can't figure it out. Thanks!