PDA

View Full Version : one size fits all ???

ivh90
June 26th, 2010, 11:35 PM
hello guys...

I am computer systems student , and I am a big fan of linux in general and ubuntu in particular...

the other day we had an intense conversation about linux and open source software , and one question came up to my mind and I really want to know what you think ???

We all know that Microsoft windows has the largest share when it comes to desktop OS and it comes in one size ( I mean windows is windows ), while the whole Linux community sticks to philosophy of having many linux distributions (many flavors to choose from)

my question is : wouldn't it be a lot better if all the Linux community work together and come up with one "almost perfect" linux distribution that would fit all the computer users (just like windows now ?)
maybe this way linux would have a larger chance of being noticed by more computer users ?

squilookle
June 26th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Nice idea, and I think it has been suggested before, but the chances of such a project working are small, as the "perfect" distro is a different thing to different people - this is why we have different general purpose distros with different approaches in the first place.

I believe that if such a project was started, there would be infighting, due to the different visions of what the distro should be, and in the worst case scenario, the project would end rather quickly.

NightwishFan
June 27th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Debian etc are all pretty general purpose. Ubuntu has the largest user base out of them.

steveneddy
June 27th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Debian etc are all pretty general purpose. Ubuntu has the largest user base out of them.

I agree. The beauty of Linux is the freedom of choice.

More education needs to go in to the fact that there are "major" versions of Linux on the market, and getting a new Linux user to choose shouldn't be that hard, should it?

ronnielsen1
June 27th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I agree. The beauty of Linux is the freedom of choice.
Just fine the way it is

ivh90
June 27th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I really like the idea behind the freedom of choice but to the "average user" both ubuntu and fedora look the same ; they both provide the basic operating system;

if you are saying linux provides a freedom of choice ; then what "different choices" does linux provide beside brown for ubuntu and blue for fedora ?

I am not a linux expert ... and I would like to know how choosing one distro over the other would affect my experience ?

devondashla
June 27th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I really like the idea behind the freedom of choice but to the "average user" both ubuntu and fedora look the same ; they both provide the basic operating system;

if you are saying linux provides a freedom of choice ; then what "different choices" does linux provide beside brown for ubuntu and blue for fedora ?

I am not a linux expert ... and I would like to know how choosing one distro over the other would affect my experience ?

Each distro has different ways in which it handles the experience.

RPMs or DEBs?

Rolling Releases or Scheduled?

Build-it-yourself or default packages?

These and more can easily sway a person from one distro to another.

Edit: as for your argument of Fedora vs. Ubuntu, the key difference actually is their approach to the user. IMHO, Ubuntu has better and larger support sources, and Ubuntu/Canonical's goal in the long-run is to get Ubuntu a large enough user base to compete against Windows. I don't know what Fedora's is, and I'm not going to pretend like I do know what it is.

ubunterooster
June 27th, 2010, 12:51 AM
All the Distros work for people with different frequencies. Myself the frequencies differ from day to day so I have a Deca-Boot. All distros work fine, but my mind sees things differently at different times

Phrea
June 27th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Isn't this called "Linux" [as in the kernel]?

toupeiro
June 27th, 2010, 01:14 AM
"Almost perfect" Ia a point of view and a conjecture that nobody will ever agree apon. Linux became the environment most people know it today because one size does not fit all...

saulgoode
June 27th, 2010, 01:17 AM
We all know that Microsoft windows has the largest share when it comes to desktop OS and it comes in one size ( I mean windows is windows ), ...

Erm, Microsoft's current desktop offerings include Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Basic N, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Business N, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista RED, Windows Vista Ultimate Signature Edition, Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, and Windows 7 Ultimate.

ubunterooster
June 27th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Erm, Microsoft's current desktop offerings include Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Basic N, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Business N, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista RED, Windows Vista Ultimate Signature Edition, Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, and Windows 7 Ultimate.
Available in 32 and 64-bit versions

Timmer1240
June 27th, 2010, 01:49 AM
I like it just the way it is!Im in Operating system heaven its really fun to try em out see which ones you like.Ubuntus been the best for me so far but I really like crunchbang archbang mint and a few others I got an old system might put crunchbang on that as its a lot lighter!Distros for all!