PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer Aspire One 532h-2D Laptop

Tomatosoup
June 26th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience installing any of the Ubuntu variants on this netbook? Like Ubuntu or the netbook remix?

I read somewhere that the WiFi connection is less stable under Ubuntu? Is that true for example?

And would the installation destroy the Windows 7 recovery partition; because I'd like to have a dual-boot situation.

psychoelf
June 26th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Just installed Lucid on my wife's new 532h. Had to set the wifi to auto connect, but otherwise it's been working great. As far as I can tell from my research, the wifi issue has been resolved. Also, there is a post on here to fix the scroll on the touchpad. As for multi-touch, I don't use that crud. Battery says 4 hours 50 minutes after I've been using it for an hour. I turned down the display and seo the HD to spin down whenever possible.

On a side note, before I wiped Win7 starter, I upgraded the BIOS to 1.24 and installed a 2GB ram stick. I swapped one out from my Gateway laptop. It was Samsung PC2 5300. I've heard that some Acers have trouble upgrading to 2GB if you don't upgrade the BIOS.

Personally I don't see what you would need Win7 for that Ubuntu can't do on a Netbook, but your needs may be different. Let me know if you have any specific questions for me.

Good Luck

PS You should be able to use the installer to make a partition for Lucid and dual boot, but I've not done this with Win7 so check the forums for instructions.

Tomatosoup
June 27th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks.

I don't really care for the multi-touch either.

I need Win7 for Live Messenger with webcam support and file transfer. Though Emesene for example supports webcam, it will probably break, because Microsoft will probably change some things again. And often something goes wrong with file transfer (on aMSN for example).

I have the following partitions by the way. Has anybody here got experience with a dual-boot with Win7 and keeping a restore partition?

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/487/partitionsu.png