PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help me understand about an upgrade i did.

AlexZaim
June 26th, 2010, 08:58 PM
There is out there a PPA called Guido Iodice Best Intel that basically provides best up-to-date packages for best performance on a intel Vcard.

Now, i was doing the upgrades/updates regularly but a couple of packages where always not update/upgraded, even though it said your system is fully up to date.

Today i entered in synaptic and noticed i can "Mark all upgrades". I pressed the icon and it selected the two packages that i couldn't get them via Update Manager. Their names contained something like "noveau"(for one) and "mesa-dri"(for the other). Clicked apply, and happy was i that i got rid of the "bug".

Now my video performance is actually poorer! I tried OpenArena and my fps are *considerably* lower!

Probably i have installed incompatible packages on force.
Pls someone tell me how to do a rollback!! Or provide a better solution?
Can i boot into my last kernel image, delete this one, and then do an upgrade again? Will that help? I kind of doubt it...

AlexZaim
June 26th, 2010, 09:26 PM
OK, never mind. It actually performs better... so far. After i unchecked the BLOOM option in OpenArena the game was back running smooth!

But i'm still curious, why Update Manager didn't wanted to install the packages? Maybe because they where under development ? But then why did he listed them?