PDA

View Full Version : Evolution mail

witeshark17
June 26th, 2010, 08:37 PM
After the strange problems with Thunderbird 3.1 not working, I have been using Evolution in its place. So now I wonder, why exactly isn't Evolution more popular? It has grown on me quite a bit in the last 2 days. The only thing I miss is being able to empty the junk folder without quitting the app. Is there any dev work on the app? Any thoughts?

RTrev
June 26th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I tried it once, and it's handling of nntp newsgroups was just awful. Maybe it was me, but I've had no trouble with 4 or 5 other nntp clients.

Evolution comes joined at the hip with Gnome, and many people wish it didn't. It's almost impossible to remove, too.

I hear that it's a competent mail client, but it tries to be so much more. I think of it as the penalty for using Gnome. <g>

witeshark17
June 26th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Interesting... Since I only use the app as a mail client I seem to like it just fine. :popcorn:

NightwishFan
June 27th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I like Evolution, if I want a lightweight system I replace it with Sylpheed. Evolution handles my mail fast and the way I want it to. It seems to be less complicated than Thunderbird and kmail, though I wish you did not need to set up an email account if you just want to use the address book and calender.

yester64
June 27th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I tried it once, and it's handling of nntp newsgroups was just awful. Maybe it was me, but I've had no trouble with 4 or 5 other nntp clients.

Evolution comes joined at the hip with Gnome, and many people wish it didn't. It's almost impossible to remove, too.

I hear that it's a competent mail client, but it tries to be so much more. I think of it as the penalty for using Gnome. <g>

Evolution is not you average email client, it is an office application.
It is and aimed as outlook replacement.

Evolution does a good job and never ever failed me really. But i can not say anything about newsgroups, altough i did use it to post messages.

Thunderbird is a email client and does most of the standard features pretty well.
Besides i have 'not' evolution installed. Currently i am just using thunderbird since it suits me well.

ubunterooster
June 27th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I like Evolution, if I want a lightweight system I replace it with Sylpheed. Evolution handles my mail fast and the way I want it to. It seems to be less complicated than Thunderbird and kmail, though I wish you did not need to set up an email account if you just want to use the address book and calender.
Sylpheed! Finally something that does not crash on me! Thx

NightwishFan
June 27th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Enjoy, I learned about that program when building a minimal Debian system.

witeshark17
June 27th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Wow, that's light alright... :popcorn:

doublewitt
July 14th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Kmail complicated...?
Seems to be simple enough for me...!
I got my setup done fast.
No way would I agree with a statement saying it's complicated.

Kmail has plenty of customization features and many very useful ones as well. One of the features I like allowed me to create a folder named: Time Outs.
I throw some emails in there when I want to keep them for a certain amount of time. I configured it to auto-delete those emails in 30 days... this option sure comes in handy. Ofcourse, you can choose the number of days to keep them.

My appreciation for Kmail has grown everyday. Of all the email applications I've tried (many!), Kmail comes thru with stability - I never have any problems with it. I'm sticking with it...

koleoptero
July 14th, 2010, 06:36 PM

Wow couldn't agree more on every point here.

samalex
July 14th, 2010, 07:06 PM
When I first bought my laptop running 9.04 I tried Evolution and synced the calendar with my Google Calendar, but it didn't support All Day Events. Because of this birthdays, anniversaries, etc didn't come across so I switched to Thunderbird with the calendar plugins which worked great. Luckily they've fixed/added this in the version that ships with 10.04, so since reloading my system a few weeks ago I've moved back to Evolution and love it.

The integration with Gnome in Ubuntu is awesome, so I'm not sure why more people don't use it. I just wish it support Usenet, but I've moved back to the tried and true Pan for that.

Sam

doublewitt
July 14th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Kontact has Usenet support. The calendar application lets you view calendars side-by-side... etc. - much you can do with Kontact...

sgosnell
July 14th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I need the contact and calendar capability. Email is actually secondary for me, because I use web access much of the time.

samalex
July 14th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I need the contact and calendar capability. Email is actually secondary for me, because I use web access much of the time.

If you use Google for Mail, Calendar, and Contacts, Evolution syncs to these perfectly.

Sam

sgosnell
July 14th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Yes, it works with Google Calendar, but I don't sync with Google contacts, because there is just too much difference between what I've acquired there and the contacts I normally use. The sync does work, but I don't really want to mix the two. For most people, that would probably work well.

lancest
July 15th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I'm using the newer Evolution 2.30.2. on Lucid
It's fast and does great with Google IMAP.
Quite stable.

Johnsie
July 15th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolution us ugly and the user experience sucks compared to Outlook, especially when it comes to working as an Exchange Client. Ubuntu needs something alot better if we want to penetrate the business desktop market. Most medium to large businesses use Exchange for handling their mail, so it's highly important that Ubuntu can deal with that in a professional, good looking way.

sgosnell
July 15th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have no problem with the looks, but I would like to see Evolution work with MSExchange 5.5. That's what my employer is still using, and I can't access my work email via the exchange server, only POP3. I know 5.5 is old, but companies tend to be very slow in upgrading what works, and the larger the company the slower they tend to be. It's a PITA not to have exchange or IMAP working, but I deal with it.