PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mac Mini (2007) install Ubuntu - possible?

jonasbdotcom
June 26th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hi there,

I purchased a Mac Mini a while ago - but found that I actually didn't like using OSX - however, I wonder if it is possible to use Ubuntu on Mac Mini. Well I sort of know, that it works with the bootcamp feature (or is supposed to) but is there a way to completely remove OSX and simply use Ubuntu as media center?

Thanks.

eltonw
June 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hi there,

I purchased a Mac Mini a while ago - but found that I actually didn't like using OSX - however, I wonder if it is possible to use Ubuntu on Mac Mini. Well I sort of know, that it works with the bootcamp feature (or is supposed to) but is there a way to completely remove OSX and simply use Ubuntu as media center?

Thanks.
The best way of testing linux with your hardware is to download and run the Live CD. That means, you can try out linux without installing it. After you try it out, it's your free choice to install at the only OS, or alongside OSX.

HTH...):P

jonasbdotcom
June 26th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks for you help... I know this works for Windows - but somehow, my Live CD didn't work on my Mac... (I'm using Ubuntu on my normal laptop ;))

Any suggestions?

kongcsr
June 27th, 2010, 10:12 PM
i just installed 10.4 with no problems other than a dusty install CD. cost me a little spit and a clean tshirt to fix. i might do a tutorial because im 1337, but im generous. lol jk

anyway, i have the 2007 one that had the lesser proc, and ram.

the only problem i am running into, which i also ran into when i installed windows to a repartitioned NTFS install on the HD, not VM or bootcamp, is that the wireless never gets recognized.

only reason i want wireless to work on it is for wep cracks so it is useless without it. havent figured out how to fix the issue, but then again, i only did this about 3 hours ago and havent looked into it much.

ill let you know when i figure out more.

oh by the way, first post. hello everyone. my name is kong csr.

kongcsr
June 28th, 2010, 02:18 AM
thank google for this lil nugget.

my mini has an atheros so here is the quick fix. i know it is for another version of ubuntu but it works.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1484242

jonasbdotcom
June 28th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for responding to this thread. I managed to get Ubuntu installed - but now the mac won't start up. Well at least it takes way to long to start up - long enought for me to cut the power without having ubuntu starting up.

Anyone know why it takes this long? I do I simply need to try to install it again?

Thanks.

kongcsr
June 28th, 2010, 11:25 PM
yes a reinstall would help.

also, make sure it is being installed on its own partitions and not along side windows.

if i may ask what is your processor mo0del and speed and how much of what kind of ram do you have?

do you know how many RPM your HD is?

jonasbdotcom
June 29th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Naturally you may ask me... this is what the forum is about! ):P

I have the 2007 model... 1.83Ghz, 80Gb HD @ 5400rpm, 1 Gb RAM (full specs (http://support.apple.com/kb/SP7))

I guess I'll have to reinstall again... I have erased everything on the computer - even OSX.