PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Applet to open favorite directories

finny388
June 26th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.

I'm looking for a panel applet that will act much like the Application/Places menu but only includes my few favorite directories preferably with submenu ability and icon settings.

any suggestions?

I found this very difficult to word in google or elsewhere.

Dr_Willis
June 26th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Check out Hawkscope - it puts a applet icon in the panel that lets you quickly access various locations.

It is a java app and also works on other operating systems. So you may like so much you will want it on the 'other' os's out there. :p

http://code.google.com/p/hawkscope/

ajgreeny
June 26th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Forgive me, but why is this any better or different from using Bookmarks which are already on the gnome menu? I have never seen or heard of Hawkscope before, but can not see that it really adds anything to what is already there in Bookmarks.

finny388
June 27th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Compared to Bookmarks:

I want to have categories for them (submenus).

I don't need to see every place on the computer, I just want 2 categories, 3 locations within each - that's it.

Finally, I'm using the Main Menu applet (main GNOME menu) so it is click, mouse over, click instead of a simple click to get to "Places".

Re: Hawkscope

Looks like EXACTLY what I'm looking for:

Configurable favourite locations for quick access
Hide unwanted drives, folders or files by adding them to blacklist

Thanks Dr Willis, so I downloaded the deb file from the link - the 5th one down "hawkscope_0.6.1-1_i386.deb Debian Package for i386 GTK Linux (Ubuntu)" - I'm using 32bit Ubuntu 10.04.

I ran the installer without any problems, took about 4 minutes, it is now in my menu under Accessories. But when I launch it, there a lightning quick flash in my panel and then nothing. Checking System Monitor, there is no hawkscope process running. I rebooted, no change.

Have you used this yourself? On what OS? Any idea what is wrong? I don't have compiz enabled though I doubt that's an issue.

finny388
June 27th, 2010, 11:53 PM
^

finny388
June 28th, 2010, 12:50 AM
If I type hawkscope in terminal and hit enter, I get error:
"Error occurred during initialization of VM
Too small initial heap for new size specified"

kerry_s
June 28th, 2010, 02:32 AM
you can do exactly what you want with the menu editor.
then you can add the menu to the panel.

you just create the sections & launchers
then add to panel-> application launcher
drag the whole menu instead of opening it

hope that makes since?
pics

finny388
June 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
thanks kerry_s

As a matter of fact I had done exactly that before.

I just wanted something dedicated (not part of the ubuntu menu) and easy to customize (Menu editor is pretty clunky).

I received a fix for Hawkscope:

1. Edit /usr/bin/hawkscope (or locate the file with command "which hawkscope" if it's not available there)
2. In line:

java -Xms4m -Xmx32m -jar /usr/share/hawkscope/hawkscope.jar $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6

increase -Xms4m -Xmx32m values to something bigger, i.e. -Xms16m -Xmx64m

So if anyone else has trouble using it, this worked for me.

Unfortunately, it is no cleaner than ubuntu menu, (but it is highly customizable and offers plugins)

I think I'll go the way of the drawers applet.