PDA

View Full Version : online mail or local mail?

irv
June 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM
When I first started using Ubuntu, about 5 years ago I used Thunderbird for mail. Maybe it was because it was like Outlook Express from Windows. I can't remember when it was by I lost all my emails, (I was new to Ubuntu then), so I switch to gmail and I really like it.
I know there are pros and cons to using either or, so I thought I would see how the majority feel about this issue. I did a search to see if I could find another poll or post like this and I didn't find one. So here goes and may the better one win.
And Online Mail includes any Internet mail server. (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc). Local mail includes any email client you use locally on your computer.
Just to cover more bases I will include “do you have your own mail server that you use.” Which really falls into online mail.

sydbat
June 26th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I use all 3.

KIAaze
June 26th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Online for private mail, offline for work mail (but IMAP, so still available from anywhere).

You should have used checkboxes for the poll. ;)

aysiu
June 26th, 2010, 06:49 PM
When I first started using Ubuntu, about 5 years ago I used Thunderbird for mail. Maybe it was because it was like Outlook Express from Windows. I can't remember when it was by I lost all my emails, (I was new to Ubuntu then), so I switch to gmail and I really like it.
I know there are pros and cons to using either or, so I thought I would see how the majority feel about this issue. I did a search to see if I could find another poll or post like this and I didn't find one. So here goes and may the better one win.
And Online Mail includes any Internet mail server. (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc). Local mail includes any email client you use locally on your computer.
Just to cover more bases I will include “do you have your own mail server that you use.” Which really falls into online mail.
Why not have the best of both worlds and use an email client with IMAP?

GMail works with Thunderbird, after all.

Tibuda
June 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Why not have the best of both worlds and use an email client with IMAP?

GMail works with Thunderbird, after all.

^^ this. IMAP is very nice.

you can also use the gmail client offline with google gears (http://gears.google.com).

WinterRain
June 26th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I use online mail that is stored locally via thunderbird.

irv
June 26th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Online for private mail, offline for work mail (but IMAP, so still available from anywhere).

You should have used checkboxes for the poll. ;)

I don't think I can go back and change it once I have posted. Another one of those things of life. Think before you act! or before you click submit!

Frogs Hair
June 26th, 2010, 07:13 PM
In Windows I have local storage so I didn't see any reason to set it up in Ubuntu . If I want to personalize an email with stationary and emotes I simply send it from Windows . Personalization is the only reason I have local mail set up at all.

Sporkman
June 26th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Yahoo Mail since the mid-90s.

ubunterooster
June 27th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Online; Thndrbrd not wirkig; posibly user messed it up