PDA

View Full Version : What 's the email notifier program you are using ?

patrick295767
March 28th, 2006, 10:22 PM
What 's the email notifier program you are using ?
========================

The program that I am using : Korn, from Kde.

And you ?

===
Pat'

Kapre
March 29th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Patrick - I think this is best posted on the community chat (to get more responses).

K

_simon_
March 29th, 2006, 07:29 AM
I've given up with notifiers, I just leave thunderbird open in another workspace with it set to beep when new mail arrives.

nocturn
March 29th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Moved to community café

GeneralZod
March 29th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I just use kmail, which in turn uses KDE's knotify functionality.

ShanghaiTeej
March 29th, 2006, 08:23 AM
I wish evolution or thunderbird had better notify support in Gnome. Then again, I wish Gnome had a lot of things it doesn't have currently.

patrick295767
March 29th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Patrick - I think this is best posted on the community chat (to get more responses).

K

Ahh, okay, thank you for the information and advice for the post location !!

Since gmail offers now huge space of ~2GB, email notifier are gonna be more used I would think.
I used some email notifiers, but didnt find yet total satisfaction...
Thank you for your responses !

Greetings

Patrick

Stormy Eyes
March 29th, 2006, 09:15 PM
========================

The program that I am using : Korn, from Kde.

And you ?

Absolutely nothing. I will check my email when I am ready to do so; I don't want to be told that I've got mail when I'm doing something else.

engla
March 29th, 2006, 09:20 PM
mail-notification, from the repositories. I use it only for gmail but you can add as many accounts you want (POP, IMAP and gmail). It lives in the gnome-panel notification area and doesn't show up until you get a mail, which is great because that nags you to get it away so you have to read the mail when you get it.

polo_step
March 30th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Absolutely nothing. I will check my email when I am ready to do so; I don't want to be told that I've got mail when I'm doing something else.
Bingo!

imagine
March 30th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Nothing.
I don't need a bunch of popups that tell me things I never wanted to know in the first place.

sapo
March 30th, 2006, 01:01 AM
F5

professor_chaos
March 30th, 2006, 02:29 AM

right on. I hate when a co-worker calls me and says I just emailed you, why didn't you respond. Ummm, cause I'm working!

MetalMusicAddict
March 30th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Mail-notification is the bees-knees!

Stormy Eyes
March 30th, 2006, 03:59 AM
right on. I hate when a co-worker calls me and says I just emailed you, why didn't you respond. Ummm, cause I'm working!

When a coworker does that to me, I just delete the email in question, act innocent, and say, "What email? I haven't gotten any email."

mstlyevil
March 30th, 2006, 04:02 AM
My yahoo homepage on Firefox.

rfruth
March 30th, 2006, 04:06 AM
I use the google toolbar http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/index.html
that way email is one click away when I want to check it.

teet
March 30th, 2006, 06:14 AM
I use the google toolbar http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/index.html
that way email is one click away when I want to check it.

I don't know if it works for gmail, but for hotmail, I just bookmarked my inbox on my "bookmarks toolbar" folder. Then I set hotmail to remember my username and password. Hence, my hotmail account is one click away (as long as I haven't cleared my cookies) without having to use an extension or anything.

But back to the question, I often have GAIM open (I use MSN and AIM on it) so it notifies me when I have hotmail.

-teet

For the Record: I only use hotmail because I've had the accout for like 8 or 9 years and don't want to go through the hassle of telling everybody I'm changing addresses.

peRosine
March 30th, 2006, 06:23 AM
For the Record: I only use hotmail because I've had the accout for like 8 or 9 years and don't want to go through the hassle of telling everybody I'm changing addresses.

:-D Don't feel ashamed because you use a M$ product :)

andrewski
May 28th, 2006, 07:05 AM
My yahoo homepage on Firefox.
Is there anything from the desktop that works with Yahoo? I don't mean something to download the mail, just something to tell me it's there.

(I actually care more about this than my--primary--Gmail because I never actually check it on my own.)

therunnyman
May 28th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I must again suggest everyone nab GKrellM. It's a system monitor: desklet-y, but without RAM munching. It's got a mail notification plugin that's already set up for your local mailbox (/var/lib/mail/yourusername), and is easily configured to check remote mail.

It's the best thing ever, this GKrellM, next to smoked salmon, of course.

runny

beercz
May 28th, 2006, 11:08 AM

None

GarethMB
May 28th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I

You need not.
Just export your contacts and import them to the new account.

I'm not using an email notifyer per se.

But my googlehomepage includes a preview of my Gmail inbox.