PDA

View Full Version : Display not working

punsingh
June 26th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Hi,

I am a very new user to Ubuntu. I have a Samsung N150 netbook. It came with windows XP. I had installed UNR alongside it and it was working great for the past 3 months.
I wanted to learn GTK+ and followed the instructions in their tutorial. I downloaded their .tar.bz2 file and unzipped it. Then I opened the folder in the terminal and did make followed by make install. But the first program in the tutorial was still not compiling. So on this site: http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/gtk-building.html I read that I should try ldconfig.
Once I did that, it was still not compiling. The Desktop was behaving funnily as no folder or directory was opening from the menu. I thought it would be ok if I restarted the computer but once I restarted, I was left with a mouse pointer on a black screen. Nothing worked except the power button on the computer.
I rebooted and tried the Recovery Mode of Ubuntu, the command line was working fine. By that I mean I could open close directories, and run aptitude. I tried to reinstall a few packages from aptitude but it did not fix my display.

Right now I am stuck with a mouse pointer on a black screen in ubuntu. If I press the printscreen button on my keyboard the pointer changes to the 'round waiting' thing for a moment and back to the pointer.

Please help. I am pretty sure there must be an easy fix to this.

ajgreeny
June 26th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Having got to your black screen with the mouse pointer have you tried Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a normal command line, from which you could login and then use the command
startx

If you've already done this, I don't quite know where to go, I'm afraid.

punsingh
June 27th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Hi,

Thanks.
I tried ctrl-alt-f1 and got the normal command line.When I entered startx, this is what I got:

xauth: creating new authority file /home/puneetsingh/.Xauthority
xauth: creating new authority file /home/puneetsingh/.Xauthority

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0

If the server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again
Please consult the The X Org Foundation support

at http://wiki.x.org
for help

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keygiving up

xinit: Resource temporarily unavailable (errno 11): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such progress (errno 3): Server error

Please help. I do not know what to do now.