View Full Version : The True Spirit of Ubuntu

steveneddy
June 26th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Article:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7098/1/

discuss....

NightwishFan
June 26th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I admire someone with the dedication to understand something and not just get frustrated with it. I am glad the man found something to do and in turn promoted so much good. Such things are what I believe in within the software world as well as out of it.

madjr
June 26th, 2010, 08:22 AM
i liked the haiti part

Andrew-J
June 26th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Very nice story, its sad to watch someone become uninspired.

murderslastcrow
June 26th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I read this a day or two ago- it really got to me. This is the real power Ubuntu can have in peoples' lives. I think, in our nice houses in front of our cheap yet powerful computers, we underestimate just how much power we have, and how much open source empowers us.

I can't really imagine having a computer without Linux, anymore. It would be like taking the Moon out of the sky. The spirit of community, and the warmth of this community, are not to be taken for granted I think.

NightwishFan
June 26th, 2010, 10:32 AM
That was well said my friend. I agree.

NUboon2Age
June 26th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Very nice story, its sad to watch someone become uninspired.

And more to the point heartwarming to watch them become reinspired, as in this article. Thank you steveneddy for posting this, if you hadn't i was going to.

kaldor
June 26th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I can't really imagine having a computer without Linux, anymore. It would be like taking the Moon out of the sky. The spirit of community, and the warmth of this community, are not to be taken for granted I think.

Yup; that's why I haven't abandoned Linux after all the problems I've had. Linux is where I'm by far most comfortable. GNOME/KDE almost feel like it was built identically for my needs :)

But yeah.. great to see an elderly person who isn't frightened of technology. I gave an Ubuntu disc to my aunt but she called me later saying "I don't want to put in the CD, it might give me a virus and I'm not techie enough to figure it out".

I hate how people have to treat computers as if it's a horribly hard task. It's an appliance.

murderslastcrow
June 27th, 2010, 12:58 AM
The reason they act this way is because a certain OS seems to reinforce this image of frailty and imbalance when it comes to computers. So, they generalize these issues to computers rather than the software they use. It always take people a few minutes, or sometimes months, to get used to the fact that Linux is stable, secure, and fast, and that something crazy isn't really going to happen.

ubunterooster
June 27th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I read this a day or two ago- it really got to me. This is the real power Ubuntu can have in peoples' lives. I think, in our nice houses in front of our cheap yet powerful computers, we underestimate just how much power we have, and how much open source empowers us.

Me neither; my router, VOIP device, PMP, and several PCs all run Linux.

Still, seeing one lose inspiration is depressing; I need to ban someone to feel better. :D

d3v1150m471c
June 27th, 2010, 02:35 AM
the true spirit of ubuntu is providing a solid operating system to businesses so they can fork out cash for cannonical support. anyways, go open source, woot!

IceDoE
June 27th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Great article. Reminds me a bit of learning the somewhat elderly monks that live at my old university (I don't think any of them are in their 80s, but at least late 50s, more likely 60s), had been toying around with Ubuntu and were ecstatic about it. They had been playing around with Ubuntu on some group of machines that were going to be sent over to Africa (similar to the Haiti idea) and loved it, finding it much better and interesting than Windows, and they didn't seem to have much trouble learning the system or anything.