PDA

View Full Version : How important is centralized authentication to your business?

kevin11951
June 25th, 2010, 11:38 PM
For those of you who work at or own a business, let me know the following:

I define "Centralized Authentication" as being able to login to multiple services using one username/password, and all the services sync their authentication using LDAP/AD/etc...

How important is centralized authentication to you/your business
How many employees do you work with/employ
How many desktops/laptops does your business own
How many servers does your business own

I am working on a little project for myself, and this is a crucial bit.

phrostbyte
June 25th, 2010, 11:49 PM
It is very important to the organization I work for. I can not answer your other questions.

kevin11951
June 26th, 2010, 12:10 AM
It is very important to the organization I work for. I can not answer your other questions.

Thank you, but I was wondering if it is a small business, medium or large/enterprise.

phrostbyte
June 26th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Thank you, but I was wondering if it is a small business, medium or large/enterprise.

Extremely large enterprise.

wirepuller134
June 26th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Not important to us at all. Everyone has the same permissions on the network.

Mike'sHardLinux
June 26th, 2010, 02:39 AM
I work for a pretty large enterprise company.... an IT services company. I am blown away by how many separate things I have to log into every single day!!

I cannot believe that fully centralized authentication is critical, but I sure would love the convenience!!

Company has 5000+ employees in US, Canada, Mexico, and India. How many servers?.....we have our own data centers. I have no idea how many desktops.

I am curious about your project......

kevin11951
June 26th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I work for a pretty large enterprise company.... an IT services company. I am blown away by how many separate things I have to log into every single day!!

I cannot believe that fully centralized authentication is critical, but I sure would love the convenience!!

Company has 5000+ employees in US, Canada, Mexico, and India. How many servers?.....we have our own data centers. I have no idea how many desktops.

I am curious about your project......

hold on, are all those logins the same, or are they different? (ie, "kevin" for one, and "kevin11951" on another)

kevin11951
June 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM
bump?

No one goes to work... Geez, i didn’t know the recession was that bad ;)

McRat
June 26th, 2010, 07:52 PM
We are fossils.

We have 6 employees who all have a key to the front door, and all have the alarm codes.

Permissions are identical for all machines except the the accounting system, which has restricted access and is isolated, it can not be accessed remotely.

Gone fishing
June 26th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Very important

I have about 650 users mainly students about 75 PCs and one server soon to be two.

I use ldap for Linux authentication, samba linked to ldap for Windows authentication and ldap linked to postfix for email the users mainly use web-mail (squirrel mail).

I don't think it would be possible to run our system with the services available to users without central authentication.