PDA

View Full Version : Name of System76? Why 76 rather than other #?

jamesrl
June 25th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Hey does anyone know why System76 is called system 76? Is there any association with 76 to Ubuntu, Linux, or Colorado or computers in general that's going by me? Tried searching the forums and googling this to no avail.

Eldera
June 25th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I am not associated with System 76 except as a happy customer. However, I believe I read somewhere on their forum or wiki that they named themselves after the Spirit of 76 of the US revolutionary war because they were trying to do something revolutionary with their company. Sorry, I can't supply the link.

Have a great day, Eldera

madjr
June 25th, 2010, 10:41 PM
maybe because it sounds cool?

i do remember a 3d game called interstate76, which was pretty cool back then

Timmer1240
June 25th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I think my next computers gonna be one of those wild dog performance models they look like a good system!Id really like the leopard extreme but kinda spendy!

dtfinch
June 25th, 2010, 10:56 PM
The name always makes me think of Mac OS, though I doubt that's the reason for choosing it, and there never really was a System 7.6. Apple renamed it starting with that version, going from System 7.5.5 to Mac OS 7.6.

NMFTM
June 26th, 2010, 01:11 AM
i do remember a 3d game called interstate76, which was pretty cool back then
I remember playing the demo of I76 that came with a copy of PC Gamer.

/reminisces/

jamesrl
June 26th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I am not associated with System 76 except as a happy customer. However, I believe I read somewhere on their forum or wiki that they named themselves after the Spirit of 76 of the US revolutionary war because they were trying to do something revolutionary with their company. Sorry, I can't supply the link.

Have a great day, Eldera

Thanks! This piece of info helped the google searching to find the following thread: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1518158 confirming this. I just got a serp6 two weeks ago and really like how everything works directly out of the box with no necessary tweaking to get any hardware working so far (webcam, 802.11n wifi card, logitech N700 usb speakers tray, internal usb microphone, external usb microphone, suspend on laptop close, hibernate on laptop low battery, etc.) Telling someone about my laptop and they asked about why it sys76 had their name.