PDA

View Full Version : Video calling - iphone 4

Björn
June 25th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I was checking a bit on engadget about the iphone 4 and:

If you didn't know anything about video calling, Apple would definitely have you convinced that they just up and invented the concept based on never-aired Jetsons footage judged too futuristic for TV. Of course, the truth is that in lots of other places (and even in the US to an extent), smartphone video calling isn't exactly a new thing. In fact, in much of Europe and Asia, this technology is old hat.

Link to Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/22/iphone-4-review/)

And that brings the question, isn't video calling standard in all new phones since... i dunno 2005? I mean what else would you use the front camera for?!

Is this just reality here in Sweden or are they exagerating?

Björn Rask

cj.surrusco
June 25th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I think this is actually the first instance of live video calls from phones in the US.

Are you sure that you're mean actual video chatting as opposed to just sending videos to each other?

LowSky
June 25th, 2010, 06:29 PM
And that brings the question, isn't video calling standard in all new phones since... i dunno 2005?

Um not in America. And I haven't really heard of video calls on a cell phone before. Even Skype is still new to the cell phone world.

I mean what else would you use the front camera for?!

Taking self portraits

Bölvaður
June 25th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I remember adverticements showing couples dining together in different countries via video calls in smartphones.
But I dont remember seeing anyone using it... possibly only def ppl.

I think video calling never took off because ppl didnt want other's to see them... specially early in the morning.

McRat
June 25th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Other phones have offered it, none with any success.

Will Apple succeed? I'm guessing no. They should have released the cross-platform SDK for it 2 years ago.

You need 2 iPhone 4's, and a solid WiFi connection. That's too restrictive. Even if you have 2 i4's, you need both to be in a WiFi area at the same time.

How are you going to know if your recipient is at a WiFi hotspot? Call them first? OK, you have them on the phone:

"Hi Joe. I want to video call you."

"What's it about?"

"Would you like to go fishing Sat?"

"Sure. I'm at a hotspot right now, so call me."

ring... ring...

"Hi Joe, would you like to go fishing?"
:lolflag:

Björn
June 25th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Ah, but in Sweden video calling is a standard protocol (just as voice calling) and goes through UMTS, aka 3G. Kinda bad quality but better than nothing. In the US, is the UMTS network widespread?

I don't use it often, mostly deaf people that do (sign language).

Still pretty fun to think we where 7 years ahead of you ;) (introduced in 2003) Usually it's the other way around.

Björn