PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 256 or Radeon 9600 AIW

Xianath
June 25th, 2010, 05:22 PM
My uncle's computer has an old mobo with just AGP in it. He has an ATI 9600 AIW and having all sorts of trouble with it (especially since the upgrade). I happen to have a spare GeForce 256 (yeah, the original one). It's obviously slower than the Radeon but do you think it would work better for a home user? No 3D gaming required, but eye candy would be nice.

dragos240
June 25th, 2010, 05:25 PM
My uncle's computer has an old mobo with just AGP in it. He has an ATI 9800 AIW and having all sorts of trouble with it (especially since the upgrade). I happen to have a spare GeForce 256 (yeah, the original one). It's obviously slower than the Radeon but do you think it would work better for a home user? No 3D gaming required, but eye candy would be nice.

I've seen compiz work with 128mb or vram.

256 is plenty for a non-gamer.

nrs
June 25th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I've seen compiz work with 128mb or vram.

256 is plenty for a non-gamer.
Geforce 256 doesn't actually have 256MB. :P The card is from ~99. 32MB I think. Eye candy is most likely out of the question. KWin, Compiz, etc. require an OpenGL extension which is only available on newer cards + drivers. You'd probably need extra legacy drivers and I'd be surprised if they support recent kernel & X versions.

CharlesA
June 25th, 2010, 05:39 PM
http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce256.html

Should be fine.

nrs
June 25th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Geforce 256 doesn't actually have 256MB. :P The card is from ~99. 32MB I think. Eye candy is most likely out of the question. KWin, Compiz, etc. require an OpenGL extension which is only available on newer cards + drivers. You'd probably need extra legacy drivers and I'd be surprised if they support recent kernel & X versions.
GL_EXT_TEXTURE_FROM_PIXMAP status unknown but it appears I was wrong about it not supporting recent(ish) kernels + X versions.