PDA

View Full Version : Should wine remove the Z drive?

J V
June 25th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Should wine remove the Z drive? Sure it allows easy access to your files from windows applications, but I already have a drive for home on every prefix, and theres not much else you need in a windows app...

Should wine remove the Z drive from default prefixes? Is there another discussion on this?

@Dragos: Yeah I know, just wondering weather it should be default behaviour... I know a few people that had their stuff deleted by the 1 in a million virus that actually worked in wine...

Bachstelze
June 25th, 2010, 01:00 PM
No.

dragos240
June 25th, 2010, 01:01 PM
No.

This.

EDIT: However, you can remove it if you want to with winecfg

Lucradia
June 25th, 2010, 01:38 PM
No as well. The Z drive allows wine to "execute on double click" wherever you download or move the windows executable you wish to execute. If you delete the Z drive, you are forced to execute/move the executable into the drive_c folder in the .wine folder.

original_jamingrit
June 25th, 2010, 03:57 PM
By default, no. It's already pretty easy to disable it yourself in WineCFG. I don't see this happening until some major exploit is found that targets wine; which is possible if it was a multi-faceted attack that targetted MS Windows users as well, but otherwise very unlikely.

J V
June 25th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Ah well, I see your points... it's just I have like a dozen prefixes and it's a pain when working with windows to have to keep changing it...

By the way, has anyone noticed playonlinux crashes when you click "Custom application or .pol package" ?

dragos240
June 25th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Ah well, I see your points... it's just I have like a dozen prefixes and it's a pain when working with windows to have to keep changing it...

By the way, has anyone noticed playonlinux crashes when you click "Custom application or .pol package" ?

I haven't noticed that. I use PoL for games. Latest version here, it may be a python update or something, PoL is coded in python.

ubunterooster
June 25th, 2010, 05:29 PM
we need Z! ( Say that 10.04 times fast)

dragos240
June 25th, 2010, 05:37 PM
we need Z! ( Say that 10.04 times fast)

I can't!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA