PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Upgrading without the internet

GuiGuy
June 25th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Am I correct in understanding that it ought to be possible to upgrade to a new version (say Karmic > Lucid) by using the Alternative ISO on a USB stick or CD?

If so, how?

I should point out that I have tried this several times but the upgrade process always stalls (probably a timed out), suggesting it is looking for a network connection.

TIA

mrgs
June 26th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Why do you want to? The 10.04 system will need a bunch of updates after the installation, so the internet connection is necessary anyway.

I would always go for a clean install rather than an upgrade, by the way.

GuiGuy
June 26th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Why do you want to? The 10.04 system will need a bunch of updates after the installation, so the internet connection is necessary anyway.

I have a friend in a remote area. An internet connection is costly enough for most of us in Australia, but he is solely reliant on an expensive satellite connection. His monthly quota is 500 megabytes. :(

He accidently ran an update recently, for the first time since I installed Karmic for him some time ago. The update never finished because he ran out of quota.

Anyway, no matter. He told me this morning he's going back to Windows.

Cheers

mrgs
June 26th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I see. In that case staying with 9.10 is probably the best choice. Since it is a mature system there are less updates than in 10.04.

If he wants 10.04, I would go for the smallest system possible, for example a minimal Ubuntu, also if his machine can run a full version:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

A small system has less demand for updates.

If he goes to Windows, he will also face the problem of downloading updates. Most likely he will need to download much more.

Maybe also he needs to be told of bandwith-saving tricks, for example browsing without pictures.