PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I install Ubuntu 10.04 on my netbook?

IWC316
June 24th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I have an Eee netbook with 1 gig of ram, 160 gig HDD, and win 7 starter. I know there is a netbook remix but I wondered if I could put the full version on. I but it on a desktop I have and it works with my external DVD drive and it will not work in Win 7.

darkod
June 24th, 2010, 10:22 PM
The Desktop version should work just fine. I have it on a netbook too, but I upgraded the ram to 2GB. It should work with 1GB too, I upgraded mostly for win7.
When you say it will not work in win7, are you talking about wubi? Just make a proper full install on its own partition.

IWC316
June 24th, 2010, 10:38 PM
The DVD drive will not work in Win 7. It is form my old laptop, I got the usb box from Hong Kong on ebay. A friend of mine tried it on his netbook witht the 9.?? netbook edition and it did not work for him either. It does work on 10.04 on a freebee desktop I have. Oh and the freebee only has 512mb ram.

ajgreeny
June 24th, 2010, 10:43 PM
It should certainly work on a machine with 1GB ram, so don't worry about that. I have a full version of ubuntu running on a netbook with 1GB ram, atom 270 cpu, and an AR5B95 wireless chipset.

The whole thing works brilliantly; absolutely everything-, sound, video, webcam, microphone, the lot. It came from Novatech in UK, named the X10, but is apparently an MSI 100 or something similar. It even came from them with no operating system, waiting for me to install UNR!