PDA

View Full Version : problem with Gtk+ GUI

miak
June 24th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Hi,

I'm writing a GUI with Gtk+ in C, and I want to update plots on the GUI every 30 seconds without any user input.
If I was using python I could've just used multi threading and have one thread call a function in the other. This seems kind of impossible to me since C is not object oriented at all.
Any ideas how to update a GUI every 30 seconds??

Also is it possible to trigger the update from some other program? say one written in python.

Thanks,
miak

SledgeHammer_999
June 25th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Use a "timeout" callback that gets fired every 30 seconds. See the tutorial link here-->http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk-tutorial/stable/c1759.html#SEC-TIMEOUTS

NonMSman
June 25th, 2010, 09:45 AM
In C you can execute tasks at the same time using : fork();

main() {
***string sIdentifier;
***int*** iStackVariable = 20;
***pid_t pID = fork();
***if (pID == 0)****{*********** // child
***** *// Code only executed by child process
******sIdentifier = "Child Process: ";
******globalVariable++;
******iStackVariable++;
****} else if (pID < 0)***{******* * // failed to fork
********cerr << "Failed to fork" << endl;
********exit(1);
******* *// Throw exception
****}*else**{******************************** // parent
******// Code only executed by parent process
******sIdentifier = "Parent Process:";
}

):P

NonMSman
June 25th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Sorry about * in code. I did not place any there. I copied the code from a google search on an example and this forum placed them in there.

anyway... That's how you can do two things at once in C....

Hope it helps...:guitar:

chay
June 25th, 2010, 09:59 AM
In C you also have threads since 1995: check pthread_create, pthread_join, pthread_exit & friends in the man pages.

In python, the threads are "crippled" (check Python GIL in google, the global interpreter lock, python doesn't have real threads).

HTH

tbastian
June 25th, 2010, 01:47 PM
In my experience gtk doesn't like threads by default. Your best bet is to either use the timeout function, or I think there is some sort of lock you can acquire similar to mutexts.

There is a tutorial here (http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/GTK+ProgrammingTips.html). This is the gist of it:

if( !g_thread_supported() )
{
g_thread_init(NULL);
gdk_threads_init(); // Called to initialize internal mutex "gdk_threads_mutex".
printf("g_thread supported\n");
}

then:

gdk_threads_enter();
// make gtk call
gdk_flush();
gdk_threads_leave();

they leave you with this warning:

[Potential Pitfall]: You will create a deadlock condition if you try to update a widget before it has been realized.

miak
June 25th, 2010, 08:34 PM
thanks SledgeHammer_999 I think timeouts is exactly what I wanted.
for NonMSman, thanks for suggestion but I don't want to use forks, since they are slow and i don't really know how they will work with gtk.

One more small question, does anyone know how to empty a widget in gtk, i.e. remove all its children.
There is a function that returns a list(get_children()), but i don't know how to iterate over a list in c.

miak
June 25th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Actually if you answer this one it will be even better
How can I pass two arguments to a function using one pointer?
So I want to pass two widgets to the timeout function and timeout function should be defined in this way :

gint function(gpointer data)

Milliways
June 26th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Actually if you answer this one it will be even better
How can I pass two arguments to a function using one pointer?
So I want to pass two widgets to the timeout function and timeout function should be defined in this way :

gint function(gpointer data)

Create a structure with 2 pointers, and pass a pointer to an instance of the structure.