PDA

View Full Version : The Latest iPhone Fail

Johnsie
June 24th, 2010, 08:10 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8759590.stm

Many users are reporting bad signal when holding their new iPhones. This isn't the first time the build quality of iPhones has been called into question.

chris200x9
June 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I HAVE FULL BARS AND I CAN'T MAKE A PHONE CALL?! **** AT&T **** **** **** MOTHER*** JESUS DAMB*** AT&T

Sorry just thought of that, this guy in my computer class (who I think has an anger issue) spent like 10 minutes cursing at&t...it might've been his iphone all along :confused:

whiskeylover
June 24th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I HAVE FULL BARS AND I CAN'T MAKE A PHONE CALL?! **** AT&T **** **** **** MOTHER*** JESUS DAMB*** AT&T

Sorry just thought of that, this guy in my computer class (who I think has an anger issue) spent like 10 minutes cursing at&t...it might've been his iphone all along :confused:

I don't think AT&T is a factor here. The story is based in the UK.

irrdev
June 24th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I think that the new Aluminum back might have something to do with it. I know that Apple tried to mitigate any potential interference issues by wrapping the antenna around the entire phone, but it doesn't look like it does the trick.

KiwiNZ
June 24th, 2010, 09:28 PM
This issue does not appear at this point to be widespread as many have not been able to reproduce the affect. Others have noted that it seems to be the bottom left corner that causes the issue.
This may indicate a batch problem.

Giant Speck
June 24th, 2010, 09:31 PM
This may indicate a batch problem.

Or a conspiracy, of course.

KiwiNZ
June 24th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Or a conspiracy, of course.

There's always a conspiracy , silly me , I forgot that :p

Giant Speck
June 24th, 2010, 09:35 PM
There's always a conspiracy , silly me , I forgot that :p
That's what they want you to do. ;)

KiwiNZ
June 24th, 2010, 09:36 PM
That's what they want you to do. ;)

Damm forgot that too

CharlesA
June 24th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Quick don yer tinfoil hats!

blur xc
June 24th, 2010, 09:47 PM
looks legit- http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/some-iphone-4-models-see-signals-drop-to-0-when-held-left-handed/

BM

whiskeylover
June 24th, 2010, 09:51 PM
looks legit- http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/some-iphone-4-models-see-signals-drop-to-0-when-held-left-handed/

BM

Lol -->
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/06/iphone4signal-hammertime3.jpg

madjr
June 24th, 2010, 10:11 PM
wow the top commented stories in engadget are like 4 different kind of problems with the iphone4

it pays not to be the first

i never get this kind of hurry, is like lemmings all in line to fall down the cliff

i always call these, the sacrificial first

fatality_uk
June 24th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Genius, pure genius!

KiwiNZ
June 24th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Genius, pure genius!

It is genius

The bottom left corner is a feature, its the Mother in law feature, touch it and she is gone :p

fatality_uk
June 24th, 2010, 11:30 PM
It is genius

The bottom left corner is a feature, its the Mother in law feature, touch it and she is gone :p

:lolflag:

blur xc
June 24th, 2010, 11:32 PM
i always call these, the sacrificial first

that's great- It'll be over a month before I upgrade my wife's iphone to the new os...

My sister upgraded her iphone the last time around right after it was released, and regretted it. She had lots of problems...

BM

MCVenom
June 24th, 2010, 11:38 PM
KiwiNZ, did you preorder the new iPhone? (Is it available for preorder in New Zealand yet? :P)

KiwiNZ
June 24th, 2010, 11:49 PM
KiwiNZ, did you preorder the new iPhone? (Is it available for preorder in New Zealand yet? :P)

No , not available yet .I am currently using a Blackberry 9700 after my last phone bit the dust under the wheels of my Electric chair, those things take no prisoners.

We still can't order the iPad, very sad. We managed to get my son one from the USA when my wife went over for a meeting .I'm still waiting as he reminds me daily , the swine, does he not know what happened to Luke . Hang on ummm scratch that .

Johnsie
June 25th, 2010, 10:37 AM
It seems that the build quality of Apple products has gone downhill. Maybe those chinese workers were too tired after their 14 hour shifts.

KiwiNZ
June 25th, 2010, 10:53 AM
This affect is also present in other phones , Nokia and Android

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?tid=34ae2c179184c33e&hl=en

Signal attenuation can affect any hand held "radio" device.

andras artois
June 25th, 2010, 12:05 PM
When people hold them they normally hold it so they bridge a connection between the regular antenna and the bluetooth one making it have a really bad reception.

I don't see why they couldn't have made an antenna that can broadcast multiple signals at once so they wouldn't have to worry about this sort of thing.

MCVenom
June 25th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I'm still waiting as he reminds me daily , the swine, does he not know what happened to Luke . Hang on ummm scratch that .

I'll have you know that thanks to you, I had a dream about Darth Vader trying to kill me from a switching first/second/third person point of view. :P

JDShu
June 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I don't see why they couldn't have made an antenna that can broadcast multiple signals at once so they wouldn't have to worry about this sort of thing.

I'm not an engineer, but wouldn't that drain the battery pretty fast?

Steve Job's answer is kinda lame, but practical, I guess.

blur xc
June 25th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I'll have you know that thanks to you, I had a dream about Darth Vader trying to kill me from a switching first/second/third person point of view. :P

Now, I know very little about radio antennas, but I think the length of the antenna matters depending on what freqencies you are trying to broadcast or recieve. So if you had two different frequency ranges you are trying to operate with, I don't think you could use the same antenna for both... but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

BM

blur xc
June 25th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Oh- And I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read this last night- http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/apple-responds-over-iphone-4-reception-issues-youre-holding-th/

Typical apple- the reception issues are apparently the users' fault, not theirs...

Talk about anti freedom! Now I'm not even free to hold the phone how I want!

Rant over- in honesty, though, imo, this is kinda bad, but even my old dumb phone has instructions on how to hold it to maximize signal quality.

BM

McRat
June 25th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Here's my guess:

In lab testing, the phones had a synthetic connection (signal generator), and they took them into the field with "disguises" on them.

The antenna surface is exposed, which is rare today for antennae.

If they would have spotted it in testing, they would have included covers I think.

Yes, your antenna length controls the freq range it receives. Wrong length NO reception at all. It's pretty critical.

I actually liked Steve Jobs response. Customer has a tech problem, Steve told him how to fix it. Short and sweet.

blur xc
June 25th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Engadget is funny- they are all over apple on this one- http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/hey-apple-youre-holding-it-wrong/

BM

KiwiNZ
June 25th, 2010, 07:09 PM

The dark side is strong :p

formaldehyde_spoon
June 27th, 2010, 01:15 AM
This affect is also present in other phones , Nokia and Android

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?tid=34ae2c179184c33e&hl=en

Signal attenuation can affect any hand held "radio" device.

This is true. After hearing about this on the iPhone I tried it on my N1, and I could get it to drop a bar. Not as bad as on the iPhone; I guess because the N1 antenna isn't exposed.

toupeiro
June 27th, 2010, 01:24 AM
This thread is epic... Just sayin'...

:popcorn:

stmiller
June 27th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Maybe Apple should make a left-handed version. :)

aysiu
June 27th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Maybe Apple should make a left-handed version. :)
Don't right-handed people hold iPhones in their left hand and use their right hand for the actual touching and swiping?

blur xc
June 30th, 2010, 06:10 PM
The saga continues- http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/30/apple-hiring-iphone-antenna-engineers-for-some-reason/

So, did someone get fired???

Funny stuff....

BM

McRat
June 30th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Don't right-handed people hold iPhones in their left hand and use their right hand for the actual touching and swiping?

We were talking about this at dinner. It seems a lot of righties hold their phone with the right hand. I use my right hand to write things down, and my left for the phone, but not everyone is that way.

Best we can figure, is that righties who mostly use a cell instead of land line use their right hand. And vice-versa. They retreive their cell with their right hand, and dial or answer with their thumb.

JDShu
June 30th, 2010, 07:41 PM
We were talking about this at dinner. It seems a lot of righties hold their phone with the right hand. I use my right hand to right things down, and my left for the phone, but not everyone is that way.

Best we can figure, is that righties who mostly use a cell instead of land line use their right hand. And vice-versa. They retreive their cell with their right hand, and dial or answer with their thumb.

Hmmm I'm right handed for all intents and purposes but I use my left hand for my phone, both to hold and dial with my thumb. Though this is mostly because I have my wallet in my right pocket so I put the phone in my left one.

aysiu
June 30th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Hmmm I'm right handed for all intents and purposes but I use my left hand for my phone, both to hold and dial with my thumb. Though this is mostly because I have my wallet in my right pocket so I put the phone in my left one.
I think I'll create a poll about this... coming soon to a Community Cafe near you!

McRat
June 30th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Now Motorola is laughing at the i4 problem:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/06/30/droid-x-ad-takes-a-shot-at-iphone-4-antenna-woes/

renkinjutsu
June 30th, 2010, 10:39 PM
rofl at one of the comments at http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/hey-apple-youre-holding-it-wrong/
now you can simply end calls by grasping your phone! genius that stevie is!

fetuspuppet
June 30th, 2010, 10:43 PM
New solution...

Bluetooth Headset.

Sure it makes you look like a tool, but I guess you wouldn't be able to hold your "status" symbol for people to see.

:guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:

blur xc
June 30th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Now Motorola is laughing at the i4 problem:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/06/30/droid-x-ad-takes-a-shot-at-iphone-4-antenna-woes/

lol-

You know apple is playing it cool to the public- but seriously- there's gotta be a lot of poop hitting the fan behind closed doors...

BM

doorknob60
June 30th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Seems the same thing happens to other phones too, not just an iPhone 4 problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ltOScs_Ws

Nano Geek
July 1st, 2010, 12:31 AM
Supposidly it's a sofware glitch, and supposidly Apple's coming out with a patch this week.
Hard to say though.

Frak
July 1st, 2010, 12:34 AM
I don't see how holding a phone in your left hand and then losing signal can be blamed on a software glitch.

McRat
July 1st, 2010, 12:36 AM
Seems the same thing happens to other phones too, not just an iPhone 4 problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ltOScs_Ws

It happens on a lot of exposed antennas. When you grab and make a good contact, your body changes the effective length of the antenna. That's why most handheld devices that use antennas have them coated in rubber.

It's nothing that a rubber case won't fix.

Frak
July 1st, 2010, 12:38 AM
It happens on a lot of exposed antennas. When you grab and make a good contact, your body changes the effective length of the antenna. That's why most handheld devices that use antennas have them coated in rubber.

This is what I was saying before the iPhone4 was launched, and I quote myself "Even a 7th grade physical science student could point out the blaring flaws". Antenna's aren't exposed because the human body, while a poor conductor, is still a conductor. When you put a rubber case over it, doesn't that negate the design Apple was going for?

McRat
July 1st, 2010, 12:44 AM
This is what I was saying before the iPhone4 was launched, and I quote myself "Even a 7th grade physical science student could point out the blaring flaws". Antenna's aren't exposed because the human body, while a poor conductor, is still a conductor. When you put a rubber case over it, doesn't that negate the design Apple was going for?

Even a hillbilly in the 1950's knew that touching an antenna changes the reception:

"Boy, you just stands thar holden them ears till Ed Sullivan is ovar!"

LMP900
July 1st, 2010, 01:36 AM

Sure, but a case shouldn't be required. I'm not a fan of cases. My laptop, Kindle, and phone are all naked. Apple should have just designed some sort of rubber cover over the gap that supposedly causes the issue.

I'm certainly not paying the $30 "Bumper tax." I'll probably wrap a rubber band or a Live Strong bracelet (http://lifehacker.com/5575999/use-a-cheap-bracelet-to-fix-your-iphone-4-signal-woes) around the antenna. Or just get a Dell Streak, which will likely be available in the U.S. by the time I get an iPhone.

Nano Geek
July 1st, 2010, 03:03 AM
I don't see how holding a phone in your left hand and then losing signal can be blamed on a software glitch.As I said, it's supposidly a software glitch. I don't know for certain.

However, touching the other attenas don't mess with the signal, so it sounds feasable.

Frak
July 1st, 2010, 03:17 AM
As I said, it's supposidly a software glitch. I don't know for certain.

However, touching the other attenas don't mess with the signal, so it sounds feasable.
From what you just said, that makes it sound less feasible as a software glitch. Remember, this is an external antennae.

Nano Geek
July 1st, 2010, 03:20 AM
From what you just said, that makes it sound less feasible as a software glitch. Remember, this is an external antennae.I know. I meant to say that, for example, touching the wireless attena doesn't mess up the wi-fi signal.

I don't think Apple would dismiss it so casually if they didn't have a fix coming.

Frak
July 1st, 2010, 03:24 AM
I know. I meant to say that, for example, touching the wireless attena doesn't mess up the wi-fi signal.

I don't think Apple would dismiss it so casually if they didn't have a fix coming.
I'm thinking their fix will be a driver update that pumps more power to the antenna. Once that's done you've convinced everybody it was a software issue while it just killed battery life for a poor design choice.

Nano Geek
July 1st, 2010, 03:27 AM
I'm thinking their fix will be a driver update that pumps more power to the antenna. Once that's done you've convinced everybody it was a software issue while it just killed battery life for a poor design choice.I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

KiwiNZ
July 1st, 2010, 03:32 AM
This is an issue that affects many phones , Droid's , Nokia's, Sony's, iPhone's to name a few. You can two of the same model phones one in each hand , phone A will have the issue and phone B won't.

Is it software or hardware ? hard to know
environmental ? possible
Batch related ? Likely

3rdalbum
July 1st, 2010, 04:58 AM
Quick don yer tinfoil hats!

No, that'll kill your mobile reception :-)

Is this really news? iPhones have extremely poor reception compared to other phones. Fact. I thought everyone knew that by now, and that's why Android is becoming so popular because you can actually get decent networking hardware in a decent phone with a decent UI.

Frak
July 1st, 2010, 05:34 AM
It's a glass back doofus.
Which actually shatters from even mild drops.

Johnsie
July 1st, 2010, 09:41 AM
My HTC Desire knocks the socks off any Iphone, visually and productively. The Iphone is so last year.

laithbsoul
July 1st, 2010, 09:47 AM

I hold it in my right hand and touch with my right thumb

HappinessNow
July 1st, 2010, 11:36 AM
I don't think AT&T is a factor here. The story is based in the UK.
Your right! ATT is not to blame, I have the Google Nexus One (ATT 3G Version) and never have this problem...I believe that the problem has been with the iPhone all along. It was just easy for them to use ATT as a scapegoat.

The problem is with the iPhone and with iOS.

cguy
July 1st, 2010, 01:43 PM
Was this brought up?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&feature=player_embedded

:D

Nano Geek
July 1st, 2010, 03:38 PM
Which actually shatters from even mild drops.Not according to what I heard. Engadget says it's fairly sturdy. If I were to buy one I'd still want a case though.

aysiu
July 1st, 2010, 04:05 PM
I hold it in my right hand and touch with my right thumb
You should vote in my poll, then, because right now it looks as if things are leaning the other way:
If you have a touchscreen smartphone, do you hold it in your left or right hand? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1521237)

madjr
July 1st, 2010, 04:35 PM
the biggest fail for apple, was the huge amount of bad upgrades

those big numbers went against them.

now people have finally woken up and realized that the "magical device" is not magical.

Frak
July 1st, 2010, 05:35 PM
Not according to what I heard. Engadget says it's fairly sturdy. If I were to buy one I'd still want a case though.
According to Gizmodo, it can't handle drops very well. Normal phones would probably just eject the battery, but still stay in functioning condition. iPhone? Nope, we had to sacrifice durability for "shiny"-ness.

http://gizmodo.com/5573163/i-had-my-shattered-iphone-replaced-by-apple-on-day-2

Also, I've had about two friends of mine already shatter their phones as well, one by dropping it on the corner of a wooden table, causing it to have a small shattered spot that cracks out a bit toward the edges, and the other dropping it on his marble counter, leaving one large crack down the middle of it width-wise.