PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] If I want to add application icons, where should I put them ?

brjoon1021
June 24th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I want new icons for some apps. I downloaded them, but I have no idea which folder to put them in so that they can be selected as an icon for xfce4.

I right click on the existing icon and I have a lot of folders to look in, but few icons that I like. I want to put new icons in those folders. How ?\

b

VH-BIL
June 24th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Icons are stored at:
/usr/share/icons

kerry_s
June 24th, 2010, 08:51 PM
press ctrl+h & put them in .icons

VH-BIL
June 24th, 2010, 09:04 PM
press ctrl+h & put them in .icons

NOTE: They will not be usable by all users.

brjoon1021
June 25th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Thanks guys.

I struck ctrl+h and absolutely nothing happened. I suppose that there is more to it than that.

Also, Thunar is kind of spartan, perhaps that is why I can't find any location ".icons" ?

So, I am still stumped....

* If you take any icon that you have on your xfce task bar and right click on it. Right click on "properties" and now you will see the icon that is being used. If you click on that icon you will go to a limited number of choices in a dropdown menu. I can't find where those choices are located and it won't let me navigate to somewhere else on the computer to find the icons that I have downloaded. Maybe that explains my dilemma better than my original e_mail did.

b

kerry_s
June 25th, 2010, 06:27 AM
ctrl+h is the shortcut key to show hidden folders/files.
you can also select it in thunars menu, i think its under "view".