PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Ubuntu says "system up-to-date" with normal releases set

fowlerpbf
June 24th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I have spent hours on this problem.

I am on Ubuntu 9.10. I want to upgrade to 10.04. The 9.10 patches itself, but does not see the upgrades. I have show new distributions: normal releases. I keep hitting the check button, but it keeps telling me the system is up-to-date.

There are no errors when the software checks for updates (as seen when it actually finds 9.10 patches and applies them.)

Any thoughts?

kalistona
June 24th, 2010, 06:07 PM
like it is writen all is ok.
you want up grade to another version ? well your choice maybe is not the best but anyway
you can go to the system then sources just down you have a choice : normal release (SURE)
and only LTS (long support = 10 lucid) , well choose LTS and reload in synaptic p.e.
an now maybe full of up dates...

Affirmative
June 24th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Try;

alt+f2

Enter the command:

update-manager -c -d

kalistona
June 24th, 2010, 06:56 PM
on 9.1 to 10 all is up to update (297 updates) and even before manager is ok afaik.
but thank you for your tip, i did not know it.

Affirmative
June 24th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I'm confused by the posts; the command I gave should specifically check for new releases, which occasionally I've noticed doesn't happen when you run it from the menu with no parameters.

kalistona
June 24th, 2010, 07:34 PM
do not be, thank you for the tip even if it is not the right !):P

fowlerpbf
June 24th, 2010, 08:10 PM
It still says "Your System is up-to-date" and "The package information was last updated less than one hour ago."

fowlerpbf
June 24th, 2010, 08:16 PM
like it is writen all is ok.
you want up grade to another version ? well your choice maybe is not the best but anyway
you can go to the system then sources just down you have a choice : normal release (SURE)
and only LTS (long support = 10 lucid) , well choose LTS and reload in synaptic p.e.
an now maybe full of up dates...
I don't know if this helps, but Synaptic says I have 28955 packages listed, 1278 installed, 0 broken, 0 to install/upgrade, 0 to remove after the reload.

It still does not seem to see the 10.4 upgrade.

fowlerpbf
June 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Try;

alt+f2

Enter the command:

update-manager -c -d
No go. It still says "Your System is up-to-date" and "The package information was last updated less than one hour ago."

kalistona
June 24th, 2010, 08:24 PM
you have done : UPGRADE 10
and you have not; and nothing is noticed like fail to check or fail join http...

so have you reload, have you shut down and restart ?

that is a big mystery...

Affirmative
June 24th, 2010, 09:06 PM
This might be futile, but I suggest checking;

System -> Administration -> Software Sources
Change the mirror that Ubuntu is trying to use to 'main server'

Then ALT+F2 ->
update-manager -c -d

After it loads, click 'check' to recheck it, after the update manager comes up. If this still does nothing, I have no idea :D

fowlerpbf
June 25th, 2010, 01:36 PM
you have done : UPGRADE 10
and you have not; and nothing is noticed like fail to check or fail join http...

so have you reload, have you shut down and restart ?

that is a big mystery...
I have not done "UPGRADE 10" I can't find any place to do that. Yes, I have rebooted. No errors I can see. I know it joined http, because it got the patches for the 9.10.

Yes. This is really a big mystery. I cannot upgrade.

fowlerpbf
June 25th, 2010, 01:37 PM
This might be futile, but I suggest checking;

System -> Administration -> Software Sources
Change the mirror that Ubuntu is trying to use to 'main server'

Then ALT+F2 ->
update-manager -c -d

After it loads, click 'check' to recheck it, after the update manager comes up. If this still does nothing, I have no idea :D
No good. Are there any logs anywhere I can check?