PDA

View Full Version : Is this fair or un-fair ?

sadaruwan12
June 24th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Hi I tumbled upon this review by guy named Q. Please check it out ant tell is it fair or just one sided.

Click here to see that article (http://g33q.co.za/2010/06/21/review-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx-netbook-remix-with-screenshots/)

dragos240
June 24th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Looks fair to me. He gave it a fairly unbiased review, I think that's what most people are looking for.

ticopelp
June 24th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I think he might have docked it a bit too hard for the criticisms he had, but other than that, it seemed fair.

aysiu
June 24th, 2010, 06:23 PM
For those of us who have not got an optical drive, the best option is to DD the image over to a stiffy or external harddrive and boot from there. I thought the best option was UNetbootin.

Paqman
June 24th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I thought the best option was UNetbootin.

+1

'Tis cross-platform, GUI, and doesn't DestroyDisk if you mess up the obscure syntax.

Dragonbite
June 24th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Doesn't seem too bad.

I've just recently been using Gnome-Shell in Fedora 13 so I understand some of his comparisons (and gripes).

I've added Guake, which is a pop-down terminal window that comes up (down?) to about 1/2 the screen height form the top when I click the panel icon or hit F12.

Really handy feature and eliminates the need to open a full-blown terminal each time. Add it to the Startup applications and it's ready for me whenever I need it! Don't have to Alt+Tab through all of the open windows, just F12 and it's there!

It is especially handy because Yum is, in my opinion, better in the terminal than via PackageKit for updating (installing is a different matter, because gotta find the right name).

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 25th, 2010, 01:07 AM
The review seems fair to me.

Everyone has a slightly different experience with any OS; however, what was described was similar to my experiences installing the newer version of UNR and maintaining UNR on my wife's netbook.

My wife asked me to remove the Microsoft Windows OS, and install a Linux OS on her netbook over a year and a half ago. She has been happy with it since that was done. In my opinion, she made the right choice considering the hardware the netbook has.

Phrea
June 25th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I don't get it.
There are numerous thousands of 'reviews' posted online every single day...

I for one couldn't care less about some random 'review' somebody made.

cprofitt
June 25th, 2010, 01:14 AM
For the most part it was fair... but...

Get Network Info:
PCLOS KDE - 120

err.... what point scale was it?

Other than that... coming within one point of Mint... for UNR is pretty good.

Legendary_Bibo
June 25th, 2010, 03:48 AM
He kept subtracting points from other categories because of something in another category (broken packages), so no he fails as a reviewer in my opinion.

QuintinvR
June 25th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Haha I am edified that my UNR review made it to Ubuntu Forums!

Thanks for that, I will take your comments to heart - I am constantly working to improve my rating system and feedback from guys like you are extremely valuable.

(I did not vote in the poll of course)

Thanks a lot!

Q