PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unrecoverable Error

mblanco2000
June 24th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I downloaded the 32 bit ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I burnt the iso to a disk and booted off of it. The install begins, but when it gets to the purple cloud looking page I get an error.

Installation Failed
The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again.

It then went into the desktop, and I tried to look at logs but they were not available either. I went through this two or three times. Then I tried one more time and it is installing as we speak.

The thing that makes me worried a bit is that the reason I am trying out ubuntu is b/c I was getting fatal errors while installing Windows XP. Before I tried installing Ubuntu I wanted to see if there was anything wrong w/ my hard drive in regards to bad sectors and such. I did the SMART extended test from hddguru.com and it came back good. Does anyone else have anything they would suggest me doing on this computer?

It is a Dell(boo) Dimension 4600 that has been upgraded to 1Gig of ram.

Well the install just failed, but I got an error saying it might be due to the CD Rom drive. Maybe the head is dirty. I would not doubt it, and maybe that is why I was missing files during the windows install??? Since they are not all that expensive would you guys just recommend going and picking up an new one and slapping it in this bad boy?

Joe of loath
June 24th, 2010, 03:06 PM
It sounds like either a memory or CD issue. To eliminate the memory, run memtest from the ubuntu CD. If it's not the memory, then just go out and get a cheap CD/DVD drive.

mblanco2000
June 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Ok cool. I think I am going to like ubuntu alot more than windows. How would I run memtest from the CD?

dino99
June 24th, 2010, 03:37 PM
mini howto: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9216264&postcount=14

Joe of loath
June 24th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Ok cool. I think I am going to like ubuntu alot more than windows. How would I run memtest from the CD?

When you see the purple splash screen after booting, press up or down on the arrow keys. A menu will appear, after asking for your language, and 'test memory' is about the 3rd down. Select it, hit enter, and leave your PC until it finishes. You'll know if something's wrong, because there will be lots of red :lol:

mblanco2000
June 25th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Well I am running the memtest now, and I have a ton of errors. It has only been running now for about 2 minutes and I have 1224 errors..

At this point do I start pulling all the memory and testing one stick at a time, or do you say they hell with it and just go buy all new memory?