PDA

View Full Version : Desktop-Switcher on UNE 10.04

northconnor
June 24th, 2010, 06:21 AM
I have a slight problem. I downloaded the Netbook Edition of Lucid Linux 10.04 off a cd for my msi wind the other day. It's great, but I prefer being able to have a better desktop. My first thought was to download the non-netbook edition on a seperate partition that I made, but then I heard of something called desktop-switcher which allows you to switch between the netbook and "non-netbook" desktops. This is exactly what I need, but I can't figure out how to get it working. I heard something about switching sessions, but I can't seem to find that anywhere. I downloaded the .tar.gz file for it, but I have never figured out the whole ./configure thing. It told me I need to update intltool, but it won't let me download from the software center. The only other option would be to download the .tar.gz for that, but of course it gave me a different error. Thanks for reading this and any help!

EDIT: It turns out that because I didn't have it ask for a password, I couldn't select the account I wanted without logging in. Sorry!

dasy2k1
June 25th, 2010, 12:03 AM
the location has changed slightly....

firstly i would install the ubuntu-desktop pakage from synaptic

then log out,
select your usernaeme, at the bottom of the login screen there will now be a dropdown list with all the desktop options (UNR, Gnome and gnome(failsafe) most likley)

select gnome and log in.....

(if you install kubuntu-desktop xbuntu-desktop etc you can change between these by the same menu)