PDA

View Full Version : I hope this turns into a great source of income for me

Legendary_Bibo
June 24th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Well I posted an ad on craigslist selling Ubuntu CDs.

This is also one way I plan on giving back to the community, this will be a great source of donation money from me. Is what I'm doing wrong?

Revolutionary101
June 24th, 2010, 01:08 AM
I understand what you are doing and I understand you are selling to donate, but I don't understand how you are going to get a lot of money from this (to donate of course). If Ubuntu is free to download and it's free to request a CD from Canonical I don't know why someone would pay for a CD.

Legendary_Bibo
June 24th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I'm gambling on the ignorance of others which will in turn increase the user base and introduction of a whole new world to others.

The only cost I'll skim off for myself is the cost for CDs, hardware costs (break down of CD burner), and postage.

mamamia88
June 24th, 2010, 01:21 AM
yeah why would anyone pay for a cd unless they didn't have internet? maybe if you created a cd with a bunch of extra packages they couldn't download

ubunterooster
June 24th, 2010, 01:28 AM
When I used dial-up, I had to order CDs from...France! There is a demand for CDs but I'm not sure if this will be large enough if all you offer is ubuntu

Legendary_Bibo
June 24th, 2010, 01:29 AM
yeah why would anyone pay for a cd unless they didn't have internet? maybe if you created a cd with a bunch of extra packages they couldn't download
It's done quite often on Ebay and Amazon, and for those people they just keep what they make, I plan on distributing the profits as donations to the people who make Ubuntu what it is. Also some to the GIMP, Vuze, and other people who make great software that I enjoy using.

ubunterooster
June 24th, 2010, 01:40 AM
It's done quite often on Ebay and Amazon, and for those people they just keep what they make, I plan on distributing the profits as donations to the people who make Ubuntu what it is. Also some to the GIMP, Vuze, and other people who make great software that I enjoy using.
Add Penng (aol dialer) to the list?

Mr. Picklesworth
June 24th, 2010, 01:43 AM
From the Craigslist posting:

Ubuntu is the worst new operating system for your computer much unlikelike Windows or Mac OSX. However its intended to be extremely frustrating for the average user, and it completely unusable! There are different versions of this operating system, so if you would like a copy I need information on your computer's specs and your social security number.

I will only accept checks.

Some scurvy pirate be trollin'.

Legendary_Bibo
June 24th, 2010, 01:49 AM
From the Craigslist posting:

Some scurvy pirate be trollin'.

Wait that's not what I had, and why is it linked to the edit page?!

ubunterooster
June 24th, 2010, 01:50 AM
computer much unlikelike WindowsTrue, it is confusing, But "meant to be" is a stretch. Also check your spelling. I also added a picture of the Ubuntu logo

Edit: well, I told it to add the logo

Legendary_Bibo
June 24th, 2010, 01:52 AM
True, it is confusing, But "meant to be" is a stretch. Also check your spelling. I also added a picture of the Ubuntu logo

Wait I'm confused since how I'm new to Craigslist. Did someone edit my original post?! I also can't seem to find it.

I seriously had something completely different god damnit! :mad:

ticopelp
June 24th, 2010, 02:04 AM
This is also one way I plan on giving back to the community

I'm gambling on the ignorance of others

I think your heart is (kind of) in the right place, but your methods leave a lot to be desired. I moved to Ubuntu to get away from dishonesty and shady practices. I don't think essentially deceiving someone into using a product sets a good precedent, especially if you're personally profiting.

Why not evangelize and let people donate their own money if they want, rather than lying to them? I think that shows a lot of disrespect for the people you're trying to convert.

So yeah, I kinda do think it's wrong. Just my opinion.

Legendary_Bibo
June 24th, 2010, 02:08 AM
I think your heart is (kind of) in the right place, but your methods leave a lot to be desired. I moved to Ubuntu to get away from dishonesty and shady practices. I don't think essentially deceiving someone into using a product sets a good precedent, especially if you're personally profiting.

Why not evangelize and let people donate their own money if they want, rather than lying to them? I think that shows a lot of disrespect for the people you're trying to convert.

So yeah, I kinda do think it's wrong. Not outrageously so, but a little. Just my opinion.

Yeah but I had to think psychologically about it. People are more willing to use something if they pay for it. If it's free they don't trust it.

For example let's say someone in a gas station bathroom made the most healthy, tastiest, hygienic burger that could cure any disease, and gave out for free. No one would want it because they fear things that are free.

SoFl W
June 24th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I'm gambling on the ignorance of others

You should go into politics.

kamaboko
June 24th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Craigslist has its own self designated monitors. It'll only be a matter of time before people post ads about your little business venture. They'll go somewhat along these lines....

"Dude you can get that OS for free on-line, or order it from Canonical for free. Why the &*(*()(* would someone pay you for it??! Get a clue. People, don't fall prey to these scams".

Trust me...it'll happen.

Legendary_Bibo
June 24th, 2010, 02:15 AM
You should go into politics.
I'd rather do something great for the world rather than exploiting it for my own gain.

A little deception in this case is possibly only leading to the benefits of everyone involved.

kamaboko
June 24th, 2010, 02:17 AM
A little deception in this case is possibly only leading to the benefits of everyone involved.

Are you in anyway related to Rod Blagojevich?

SoFl W
June 24th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I'd rather do something great for the world rather than exploiting it for my own gain.

Spoken like a true politician.

Legendary_Bibo
June 24th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Craigslist has its own self designated monitors. It'll only be a matter of time before people post ads about your little business venture. They'll go somewhat along these lines....

"Dude you can get that OS for free on-line, or order it from Canonical for free. Why the &*(*()(* would someone pay you for it??! Get a clue. People, don't fall prey to these scams".

Trust me...it'll happen.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess I should have mentioned the whole donation thing. :???:

I just want you guys to know that I plan on entirely donating all profits, I just couldn't shake the feeling that I didn't execute it in the best possible way.

ticopelp
June 24th, 2010, 02:19 AM
That may or may be true, but I still don't think that justifies deceiving people. You could just be up-front with people and tell them the OS is free and you're charging for time, materials and shipping.

If I got introduced to a free product and found out someone charged me money for it because he thought I was too ignorant to know any better, I think I'd be pretty displeased about it.

Again, not a huge deal but I don't agree with your methods. I think it goes against the Ubuntu philosophy (http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/our-philosophy).

ubunterooster
June 24th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Guys...
No trolling The OP.

kamaboko
June 24th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess I should have mentioned the whole donation thing. :???:

I just want you guys to know that I plan on entirely donating all profits, I just couldn't shake the feeling that I didn't execute it in the best possible way.

Uhhh....they won't fall for the "donation" thing either. Listen, if you're so bent on helping people and giving money away, put up a sign on a street corner: "Will wash cars for donations". Taking a free product and trying to sell it under the guise the money will be used for donations is shoddy and cheap. IMO, bad post. Stop while you're behind.

mojota
June 24th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Good luck with that.

McRat
June 24th, 2010, 02:28 AM
A) Not everybody has broadband. Downloading 700mb without a good connection is a hassle.

B) Things are worth what you are willing to pay for them.

Go for it.

ubunterooster
June 24th, 2010, 02:30 AM
A) Not everybody has broadband. Downloading 700mb without a good connection is a hassle.

B) Things are worth what you are willing to pay for them. True

When I used dial-up, I had to order CDs from...France!

WinterRain
June 24th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Well I posted an ad on craigslist selling Ubuntu CDs.

This is also one way I plan on giving back to the community, this will be a great source of donation money from me. Is what I'm doing wrong?

No, it's not wrong, but good luck making any real money. I sell pc's on craigslist and made $600 last week. On a bad week I can make $300-400. This is on top of my pc repair business, which nets me a couple hundred a week. (yeah, the repair business has slowed for the little guy)

But don't expect to sell more than a couple a month IF you write a well thought out ad. Good luck, you'll need it.

Uhhh....they won't fall for the "donation" thing either. Listen, if you're so bent on helping people and giving money away, put up a sign on a street corner: "Will wash cars for donations". Taking a free product and trying to sell it under the guise the money will be used for donations is shoddy and cheap. IMO, bad post. Stop while you're behind.

It's better to not even mention donating. It's OK to make money off of open source. Everyone needs to eat and pay bills.

Legendary_Bibo
June 24th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Okay I revised it. Now I actually feel good about it. :D

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/sys/1807859857.html

It might not be up just yet, it told me it should take 15 minutes at the most to show.

ubunterooster
June 24th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Much better, but replace "the deception" with "any deception"

WinterRain
June 24th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Okay I revised it. Now I actually feel good about it. :D

It might not be up just yet, it told me it should take 15 minutes at the most to show.

Not a well thought out ad. I'm not trying to be a prick, just truthful. As a long time veteran of craigslist, I can assure you that you will sell none.

You should have mentioned that linux has been around since 91, is on a lot of servers, hollywood uses it to make movies, the droid is linux, and dell now preinstalls ubuntu on some computers. People need to feel reassured that what you are selling is not some fly-by-night thing. And if you are a good PR person, you could even offer to install it for them for a few bucks.

Your ad presentation means everything. It needs to be near perfect. There's a reason everything I put on craigslist sells. My ads are very well thought out and put into terms most people can understand.

Legendary_Bibo
June 24th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Not a well thought out ad. I'm not trying to be a prick, just truthful. As a long time veteran of craigslist, I can assure you that you will sell none.

You should have mentioned that linux has been around since 91, is on a lot of servers, hollywood uses it to make movies, the droid is linux, and dell now preinstalls ubuntu on some computers. People need to feel reassured that what you are selling is not some fly-by-night thing. And if you are a good PR person, you could even offer to install it for them for a few bucks.

Your ad presentation means everything. It needs to be near perfect. There's a reason everything I put on craigslist sells. My ads are very well thought out and put into terms most people can understand.

Like this? Oh and I kind of copied and pasted part of your post...I'm actually thinking about getting rid of the "I'll install it for you" thing. I don't want my parents worrying about why strangers are showing up to our house. I also don't have a car or can drive...

WinterRain
June 24th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I'm actually thinking about getting rid of the "I'll install it for you" thing. I don't want my parents worrying about why strangers are showing up to our house. I also don't have a car or can drive...

Well, I didn't realize you were young and living at home. That changes things.

With me, if people stop showing up at my house, I starve. (since fixing and selling pc's is my only source of income)

Mr. Picklesworth
June 24th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Well, as far as selling it is concerned, the screenshots (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/sys/1807859857.html) are devoid of content. They demonstrate how complicated Ubuntu can look if you spend a lot of time configuring it to look complicated, err, “advanced.” They don't show it doing anything. Just switching applications, switching workspaces, and being very dark.

I don't have a moral issue with it, but don't expect much selling this for the material cost of the disk + an arbitrary value. That isn't going to help many people, and chances are pretty high you will get a fair number expecting help. Getting the installation media is not what stops people who would otherwise try Ubuntu from trying Ubuntu.

You would have much greater success actually providing in person technical support. Say, $25 an hour with a minimum 2 hour call-out. Maybe you can do it at a public space like a library?

Installing Ubuntu for people with that approach will already net you more money than just giving someone a disk, and you will find yourself with much happier customers. Customers who come back.
Chances are, you would get more customers in the first place, since that service promises to make things easier for them.

Chat with your nearest Ubuntu loco team (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeams) or Linux user group. There are lots of people who do this. Maybe someone can give you some local advice.

Legendary_Bibo
June 24th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Well, as far as selling it is concerned, the screenshots are devoid of content. They demonstrate how complicated Ubuntu can look if you spend a lot of time configuring it to look complicated, err, “advanced.” They don't show it doing anything. Just switching applications, switching workspaces, and being very dark.

Really, it's pointless to sell this for the material cost of the disk + an arbitrary value. That isn't going to help people. Getting the installation media is not what stops people who would otherwise try Ubuntu from trying Ubuntu.

You would have much greater success actually providing in person technical support. Say, $25 an hour with a minimum 2 hour call-out.

Installing Ubuntu for people with that approach will already net you more money than just giving someone a disk, and you will find yourself with much happier customers. Customers who come back.
Chances are, you would get more customers anyway, since that service promises to make things easier for them.

Chat with your nearest Ubuntu loco team. There are lots of people who do this. Maybe someone can give you some advice.

I work as a full time tutor, I don't have time to figure out a means of transportation to constantly provide technical support. I could direct them to google.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 24th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I work as a full time tutor, I don't have time to figure out a means of transportation to constantly provide technical support. I could direct them to google.

If they are really comfortable using Google, why are they ordering a disk from you? Dial-up connections?

Maybe consider throwing in a printed copy of this:
http://ubuntu-manual.org/

The logistics could get kind of fiddly (unless you have a good printer handy to print on demand, you'll need to find a local printing company that works with low yields), but it would be worth it.

Legendary_Bibo
June 24th, 2010, 03:31 AM
If they are really comfortable using Google, why are they ordering a disk from you? Dial-up connections?

Maybe consider throwing in a printed copy of this:
http://ubuntu-manual.org/

The logistics could get kind of fiddly (unless you have a good printer handy to print on demand, you'll need to find a local printing company that works with low yields), but it would be worth it.

That I can do. :D

There's an Office Max that does that stuff not too far from where I live.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off sounding like a ****.

McRat
June 24th, 2010, 03:50 AM

In theory, you can do support with the Remote Desktop? app. You talk to them on the phone, and you can see their screen.

Anyhow...

I think it's a great idea.

But I would show a "Office" document, a Webpage (in Firefox), Email screen, and one of the included games. This is what 90% of computer users use.

I'd leave out the apologies or mention of donations or the fact you can download it instead.

Selling a LiveCD for $10 is obviously just a "handling" fee, so no explanations are necessary.

"Tired of Viruses?"
"Windows taking forever to boot?"
"Want more power from your Computer?"

'Ubuntu Linux is one of today's most modern operating system for PC computers. It comes with Open Office (reads and writes MS Office documents), Email, Firefox Web-browser, and hundreds of applications (free and legal). It starts faster, needs less hardware, and no special driver disks are needed. And no 25 digit security keys to lose, ever."

"Plus, it's a Babe Magnet. No gal can resist a guy who can type instructions from the command line."

ubunterooster
June 24th, 2010, 03:53 AM
"Plus, it's a Babe Magnet. No gal can resist a guy who can type instructions from the command line."
Never heard that one before. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/thinking-022.gif

WinterRain
June 24th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Bibo, your ad is a mess. If I wasn't having a drink right now, and about to do other things, I could school you. Don't expect any business. Most of it is due to your age and inexperience.

I've actually seen people on craigslist that DO get people to buy into ubuntu, but they were MUCH more able to communicate their ideas, and translate it into $$$$$. Your ad will wither and die. Not trying to be a ****, just someone who's been around the block MANY times. It won't work as it is.

It's cool to try, and I guess that's how you learn.

kamaboko
June 24th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I knew this was going to happen. I see you got your first reply post:

RE: Ubuntu CDs for Sale! - $10 (Scottsdale) (anywhere)

Date: 2010-06-23, 7:46PM MST
Reply to: sale-smr49-1807948006@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Don't pay this person for Ubuntu cd's it's a free program!!! (gotta love people trying to make money on someone's software)

Go here: http://www.ubuntu.com/

You can download an image file or they will even mail you the disc for free!!!

clarknick67
June 24th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I knew this was going to happen. I see you got your first reply post:

RE: Ubuntu CDs for Sale! - $10 (Scottsdale) (anywhere)

Date: 2010-06-23, 7:46PM MST
Reply to: sale-smr49-1807948006@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Don't pay this person for Ubuntu cd's it's a free program!!! (gotta love people trying to make money on someone's software)

Go here: http://www.ubuntu.com/

You can download an image file or they will even mail you the disc for free!!!
really? are u sure??

Paqman
June 24th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Getting the installation media is not what stops people who would otherwise try Ubuntu from trying Ubuntu.

+1

What freaks people out is stuff like partitioning, integrating Ubuntu with their existing tech, and finding replacement software. Basically go hang out in Absolute Beginners and see what stuff people ask for help with. It's almost never downloading and burning the disk.

You would have much greater success actually providing in person technical support. Say, $25 an hour with a minimum 2 hour call-out.

A much better business model, but I still wouldn't expect to make any serious dollars from it. The home Linux market just isn't big enough.