PDA

View Full Version : [other] Mounting Servers in a Rack?

kevin11951
June 24th, 2010, 12:45 AM
When mounting a server in a rack (this chassis: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811182566), can you just mount it by its front ears, or do you need more?

Bachstelze
June 24th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Generally, you mount it on rails and then you put it in the racks, pretty much like a drawer.

kevin11951
June 24th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Generally, you mount it on rails and then you put it in the racks, pretty much like a drawer.

but you cant just mount it by its ears?

bab1
June 24th, 2010, 01:39 AM
but you cant just mount it by its ears?

You can always do whatever you want. Mounting only by the ears puts a lot of stress on the ears.

If you can find a way to support the back end you would be much better off.

kevin11951
June 28th, 2010, 07:05 PM
You can always do whatever you want. Mounting only by the ears puts a lot of stress on the ears.

If you can find a way to support the back end you would be much better off.

What is the worst that could happen if you mount it by only the ears... I cant imagine it would rip off the whole ear :confused:.

EmanresuusernamE
June 28th, 2010, 07:34 PM
You can't imagine it, but mother nature can. And Murphy's Law states that anything that can happen, will happen.

I think Bachstelze was thinking of a 1u server, not a couple like the one you're using. It's plausible to mount one of those only by their ears, however there's always the possibility that it will rip off and fall down. If that happens, and you have standard drives that have to spin, then there's the potential for data loss and hard drive damage. Not to mention the loss of the face of the case there, and the loss of your own face if the server is totaled. If you put something underneath it in the back to support it, then it should be fine.

One of my customers has a server case like that, and it's been hanging there for a few years now, close to the ground though. That sucker is heavy.

Now that I think of it, what you could do is run a, preferably metal, cable from the front of the case to the back and then have the cables go up and pull on the back of the case to relieve some of the tension from the ears.

Really as far as I can tell though, rack mounted cases are able to be hung by their ears, but sooner or later, they're bound to break.