PDA

View Full Version : VLC media player is so annoying!!!

sudoer541
June 24th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I just installed the latest version of VLC on Windows xp and whenever I open a folder "say my vacation photos folder" VLC opens up and tries to play my photos...so annoying!!!
There is no way to un-associate files with this thing? I re-installed it and nothing changed...grrrr!!!:mad:

mojota
June 24th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I just installed the latest version of VLC on Windows xp and whenever I open a folder "say my vacation photos folder" VLC opens up and tries to play my photos...so annoying!!!
There is no way to un-associate files with this thing? I re-installed it and nothing changed...grrrr!!!:mad:

You can set file type association at install, un install it then pay attention when reinstalling.#

hope this helps.

Bachstelze
June 24th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Yeah, you really shouldn't use the EXE install file of VLC. It is extremely intrusive, and puts key all over the registry. Honestly, half a size larger and you can call it spyware.

Moral: use the ZIP file. :) Or even better, don't use VLC at all.

Simian Man
June 24th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I never understand why people like VLC so much, it violates almost every rule of good application development.

dragos240
June 24th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Is there cvlc for windows? If so you could do *.ogg or something, and it'd only pick out the *.ogg files. But that's still frustrating.

blur xc
June 24th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I never understand why people like VLC so much, it violates almost every rule of good application development.

I don't have any issues with it. How does it violate rules of good application development?

What I love about vlc- first and foremost- I don't need quicktime to play .mov files!!!!! I haate quictime, itunes, and that worthless idiotic pain in the @** intrusive apple software updater. Last time I ran it there was some broken .msi file and it'd crash the updater and make me have to reboot every time it ran, and because of the broken .msi file, it'd fail uninstall it. It took me a while to get rid of it, and since I've upgraded to Win 7 (work machine) I've vowed to never install any crapple software on my computer again.

2nd- it plays all the video format that wmp plays, all to formats that quicktime plays, and a few that both have issues with like goofy avi's...

BM

juancarlospaco
June 24th, 2010, 12:33 AM
VLC is just an Engine, the problem is the QT GUI implemented.

(there are GTK and WxWidgets versions of VLC Frontends)

SunnyRabbiera
June 24th, 2010, 01:21 AM

VLC is a good DVD player though if you hate windows media player.

zekopeko
June 24th, 2010, 01:27 AM

WMP that shipped with Windows 7 is pretty nice.

ubunterooster
June 24th, 2010, 01:29 AM
That is all I use it for; DVDs

zekopeko
June 24th, 2010, 01:29 AM

Finally a sane person. VLC is one of the worst GUI monstrosities that have graced the web. That preferences window is HORRIBLE. They so need UI and usability designers.

SunnyRabbiera
June 24th, 2010, 01:37 AM

Sorry but I loathe WMP, plus I wont buy win 7 just to use it.
Screw microsoft products.

RiceMonster
June 24th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I don't like VLC either. The video filters usually create pixel tearing in fullscreen, and the UI is horrendous. It also seemed to love to crash when seeking with the keyboard.

I agree. The interface is actually very nice and clean, though I use SMPlayer on windows.

zekopeko
June 24th, 2010, 01:48 AM

Well I find WMP a nice looking and functioning media player. I does it's job nicely. Microsoft really made a nice product (including Win7).

zekopeko
June 24th, 2010, 01:52 AM
I don't like VLC either. The video filters usually create pixel tearing in fullscreen, and the UI is horrendous. It also seemed to love to crash when seeking with the keyboard.

VLC's UI should be banished to the Third circle of Dante's Hell.

I agree. The interface is actually very nice and clean, though I use SMPlayer on windows.

I just discovered this little gem-in-the-making: http://www.splayer.org/index.en.html

Still rough around the edges but has a nice UI and auto-download of subtitles.

SunnyRabbiera
June 24th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Well I find WMP a nice looking and functioning media player. I does it's job nicely. Microsoft really made a nice product (including Win7).

Go ahead and praise MS, you know that company that has a near monopoly on the market and tries to put any competition down with uncompetitive measures.

ctrlmd
June 24th, 2010, 01:55 AM
if that is your theory of "you won't buy something just to use it"

then stop using cars, pc's, laptops, phones, cellphones, books, home, electricity, water, tv, ac, microwave, playstation, xbox .............. and so on. :lolflag:

RiceMonster
June 24th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I just discovered this little gem-in-the-making: http://www.splayer.org/index.en.html

Still rough around the edges but has a nice UI and auto-download of subtitles.

Nice find. I'm liking this!

Go ahead and praise MS, you know that company that has a near monopoly on the market and tries to put any competition down with uncompetitive measures.

And this has what to do with whether the product is good or not? Here's an idea, how about we DON'T have another tired "is MS evil or not" debate?

MCVenom
June 24th, 2010, 03:01 AM
and this has what to do with whether the product is good or not? Here's an idea, how about we don't have another tired "is ms evil or not" debate?
+999,999,999

irv
June 24th, 2010, 03:34 AM
One thing you can say about VLC media player is the support you have for just about every video/audio format you can thinks of.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.php?cat=input (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.php?cat=input)

Edit: and it also runs in 6 OS's.

sudoer541
June 24th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Guys/gals!!!! I opened this thread to find a solution to my problem, and you guys/gals express your opinion about VLC player instead of helping me find a solution.
I still want to keep VLC player and I want to solve this problem as well.
Anyone wanna help?

RiceMonster
June 24th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Guys/gals!!!! I opened this thread to find a solution to my problem, and you guys/gals express your opinion about VLC player instead of helping me find a solution.
Anyone wanna help?

Of course people posted their views or opinions. You posted this thread in the cafe, and this thread seemed more like your were stating your opinion. If you are looking for help, post in a support area.

Edit: Oh wait, this a Windows problem right? Don't post in the support areas then.

WinterRain
June 24th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Finally a sane person. VLC is one of the worst GUI monstrosities that have graced the web. That preferences window is HORRIBLE. They so need UI and usability designers.

Sane? Define sane. Someone who thinks like you?

Anyway, I've been using vlc since my windows days, and will be using it for the foreseeable future. It does cable TV, music, and video. And does it very well. If you don't like it, use something else.

Anyone wanna help?
Start a thread in the appropriate areas.

exodus_
June 24th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Anyone wanna help?

Hey there,

I won't tell you my stance on the whole VLC thing if that's your wish! ;)

If it's Vista, in your start menu should be a "default programs" item, or similar. You should find this in your control panel as well.

If it's 2000 you want to go to control panel, and then go to folder options, and then to the "file types" tab.

You should see a list of different file typed that windows has currently been "trained" to know about. You now have a choice. You could correct each entry now, to open with the program you like. You could also simply remove any reference to VLC in here, and now Windows won't "know" what to do with these files, and it should ask you what to do.

Either way, it will take time, as you "re-train" windows in how to deal with different kinds of files.

I imagine that the windows 2000 method would work similarly in XP..

Sorry, but it's been years since I really used windows, and I stopped at windows 2000. O do hope this can help or at least point you in the right direction.

ETA:
I will however say that in the future, you could title and word your posting a bit better. Do a search for how to ask a question, there are a lot of differing opinions out there, but proper titles go a long way into getting help. Also consider your audience. For windows problems, you may find better luck on a windows forum, unless you're maybe trying to get the two to play nicely together ;)

clarknick67
June 24th, 2010, 07:02 AM
yeah, agree with u !!

kelvin spratt
June 24th, 2010, 07:15 AM
You need to right click on 1 of your photos click on "open with" and change to what ever you want to open it.
As far as i'm concerned VLC should be the default movie player in Linux its superb and even plays dvda and 24/96 sound files as 24/96.

Rubi1200
June 24th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Yeah, you really shouldn't use the EXE install file of VLC. It is extremely intrusive, and puts key all over the registry. Honestly, half a size larger and you can call it spyware.

Moral: use the ZIP file. :) Or even better, don't use VLC at all.

Or use the portable version available here:

http://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/vlc_portable

doesn't write anything to the registry and keeps everything neat and tidy.

Canis familiaris
June 24th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I use SMPlayer. I find it much much intuitive to use. And VLC is not annoying by any means to me. Dunno why it is getting so much criticism here. :|

chucky chuckaluck
June 24th, 2010, 12:38 PM
You need to right click on 1 of your photos click on "open with" and change to what ever you want to open it.

Oh, but that would be too simple.

98cwitr
June 24th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I love VLC. IDK WTF is wrong with ya'll :)

andras artois
June 24th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I use SMPlayer. I find it much much intuitive to use. And VLC is not annoying by any means to me. Dunno why it is getting so much criticism here. :|

Because that would meaning liking something popular and you couldn't possibly do that.

VLC is awesome. It plays anything perfectly.

alphaniner
June 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
The only thing I like about VLC is using the mouse wheel to control volume. Of course, I've never gotten that feature to work properly in Linux. Otherwise, it is a fantastically horrible media player. When playing a DVD, restarting after a pause results in stuttering, and the pages (like scene select) are often borked. On the same box, WMP works flawlessly. Even more annoying, when I create an audio playlist from a folder, it dumps the songs in random order, and if I re-arrange them then save the playlist, the songs are saved in the original mess order VLC gave me. WTH is that about? Yes, VLC is annoying. It's the best and brightest of the bottom of the barrel.

wkhasintha
June 24th, 2010, 03:27 PM

I could help man , pardon me
:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

neoargon
June 24th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Right click on a picture file . Click properties. change default application to something else .

neoargon
June 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Vlc is a very good media player . It's like a swiss army knife for those who knows how to use it .

WinterRain
June 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM
The only thing I like about VLC is using the mouse wheel to control volume. Of course, I've never gotten that feature to work properly in Linux. Otherwise, it is a fantastically horrible media player. When playing a DVD, restarting after a pause results in stuttering, and the pages (like scene select) are often borked. On the same box, WMP works flawlessly. Even more annoying, when I create an audio playlist from a folder, it dumps the songs in random order, and if I re-arrange them then save the playlist, the songs are saved in the original mess order VLC gave me. WTH is that about? Yes, VLC is annoying. It's the best and brightest of the bottom of the barrel.

Never had any of those problems after many years of using it.

Vlc is a very good media player . It's like a swiss army knife for those who knows how to use it .
Tell that to the hate mongers. But yes, it does a million times more things than wmp. Hasn't failed me yet.

proggy
June 24th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Vlc has saved me tons of bandwidth ,it`s the only player i know where you can preview a video download before it`s completely downloaded.
I t might be a hard learning curve for some users because it`s so complete but like any tool you learn what you need to learn for your personal usage.

Groucho Marxist
June 24th, 2010, 07:45 PM

.ISO know what you mean :D

VLC works terrifically for me on my Pangolin Performance

doorknob60
June 24th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I love VLC! It's by far the best media player I've ever used on any OS. Works with everything, and I find its interface better than any other Linux media players. Not sure why everyone hates it...seems fine to me :)

SunnyRabbiera
June 24th, 2010, 08:30 PM

well what do you use if you dont like WMP then huh?

RiceMonster
June 24th, 2010, 09:28 PM
well what do you use if you dont like WMP then huh?

On Windows? Media Player Classic, SPlayer, SMPlayer, The KMPlayer, etc.

LeifAndersen
June 24th, 2010, 10:25 PM
if that is your theory of "you won't buy something just to use it"

then stop using cars, pc's, laptops, phones, cellphones, books, home, electricity, water, tv, ac, microwave, playstation, xbox .............. and so on. :lolflag:

Come again? I think you got the wrong analogy. He's saying he doesn't want to buy windows 7 to use windows media player, not that he doesn't buy windows 7 to use windows 7.

For example, it's like saying: "I don't want to buy mac just to use xcode', or "I don't want to buy a car just to use it's specialized car stereo I have".

emarkay
June 24th, 2010, 10:35 PM

In what way?

When your associations are properly configured, or you manually open a media file with it, it's got the best quality, most configurable image around - and isn't that the whole point?

andras artois
June 25th, 2010, 12:11 PM
VLC is an ideal video player. It has simple controls, plays pretty much anything and isn't filled with useless stuff. As an audio player it's okay. Useful because it can play anything but trying to use it how you would use WMP or iTunes or similar music player, it's a total flop.

You can right click on things in windows and click the open with option to change what they defaultly open with. I tend to set all media things to VLC and use Media Jukebox as my regular music player.

neoargon
June 25th, 2010, 02:53 PM
VLC is an ideal video player. It has simple controls, plays pretty much anything and isn't filled with useless stuff. As an audio player it's okay. Useful because it can play anything but trying to use it how you would use WMP or iTunes or similar music player, it's a total flop.

You can right click on things in windows and click the open with option to change what they defaultly open with. I tend to set all media things to VLC and use Media Jukebox as my regular music player.

vlc is not designed to be a jukebox . It's a player .

nrs
June 25th, 2010, 03:50 PM
VLC is just an Engine, the problem is the QT GUI implemented.

(there are GTK and WxWidgets versions of VLC Frontends)
The wxGTK variant was 1000 x worse. Do you think they decided to ditch tens of thousands lines of code and just over just for fun? :p

Frak
June 25th, 2010, 05:01 PM
On Windows? Media Player Classic, SPlayer, SMPlayer, The KMPlayer, etc.
Love me some Media Player Classic. Combine that with CCCP and I don't think I've found a file I can't play (but at the same time, it's not like I've been trying). Also, the interface is nice.

RiceMonster
June 25th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Love me some Media Player Classic. Combine that with CCCP and I don't think I've found a file I can't play (but at the same time, it's not like I've been trying). Also, the interface is nice.

It's a good player, but I couldn't get styled subtitled to look right. I've been using this SPlayer thing that zekopeko found.