PDA

View Full Version : How can I save these devices?

dragos240
June 23rd, 2010, 11:56 PM
2 of my USB drives are fried. I used the wrong power supply with a USB hub, the port was so small, and I found a power suppy just like it, i've never seen a port like that, it fit, the light came on, and I thought it worked. Needless to say, it was too much power, and it overheated and caused 90 dollars worth of damage, both my usb devices are incapacitated. Is there any way I can harvest the memory on the drives? I want to see if I can rescue the drive's data, even if I can't save the drive itself. Is there a place I can send it, or is there a rig I can build to attach the memory to? I am absolutely desperate.

Please help

CharlesA
June 23rd, 2010, 11:58 PM
Using a Data recovery service would probably be the best bet if you need the data and don't have any backups.

Just curious, why did you use a power supply that wasn't bundled with the USB hub?

dragos240
June 24th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Using a Data recovery service would probably be the best bet if you need the data and don't have any backups.

Just curious, why did you use a power supply that wasn't bundled with the USB hub?

We bought a targus kit about 6 years back, the power supply was right next to the hub, it had the same port, and I didn't read that big yellow tag that said "only for use on hovercopter". If I had read that, my devices would be okay.

CharlesA
June 24th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Heh. done that before, except I did it to a router. >.<

tubezninja
June 24th, 2010, 01:42 AM
FYI: recovery services tend to be extremely expensive. Expect to pay on the order of a few hundred dollars or more. And depending on the vendor, they'll charge you even if they don't recover anything.

This is why you always keep backups, and preferably not not have them both in the same place at the same time.

ubunterooster
June 24th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Are they mechanical HDDs? You can replace the board on them.