PDA

View Full Version : next time someone asks you how can linux and open source be free, show them this

madjr
June 23rd, 2010, 10:00 PM
what really motivates us, money is not everything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

also this other vid can be applied to past, present and future open source mentality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3oIiH7BLmg

great eye openers, that really apply to all of us, worthed the time

dondiego2
June 23rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Awesome video! Now I'm glad I got let go from my profit hungry company! I was just working for a pay check anyway and didn't realize why it wasn't rewarding. This explains a lot! Although I do miss the pay check.

madjr
June 24th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Awesome video! Now I'm glad I got let go from my profit hungry company! I was just working for a pay check anyway and didn't realize why it wasn't rewarding. This explains a lot! Although I do miss the pay check.

yea, once your current money needs are satisfied , people need something deeper or help change the world

Sporkman
June 24th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I usually don't have the patience to click on video links.

doas777
June 24th, 2010, 09:21 PM
climbing Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

madjr
June 24th, 2010, 10:05 PM
climbing Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

my thoughts exactly

i luv maslow :D

I usually don't have the patience to click on video links.

guess you're not a candidate for google or apple tv

slooksterpsv
June 24th, 2010, 10:23 PM
That video was amazing, it makes sense too. I think the whole world needs to watch that.

wilee-nilee
June 24th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Old news and Maslow was only one construct out of over 500. And his like all the rest are mixtures of others constructs.

blur xc
June 24th, 2010, 10:57 PM
what really motivates us, money is not everything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

also this other vid can be applied to past, present and future open source mentality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3oIiH7BLmg

great eye openers, that really apply to all of us, worthed the time

I think that first video explains why I'm so distracted and waste so much time at work. I really feel like I'm not getting better at anything (actually, the opposite) and I feel like there's little purpose in what I'm doing...even though I'm getting paid the most I've ever been paid for how little responsibility I have...

I tell people who ask what I do for a living that I'm a mouse jockey- or that I sit in a chair and wiggle a mouse, clicking from time to time...

BM

wilee-nilee
June 24th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I think that first video explains why I'm so distracted and waste so much time at work. I really feel like I'm not getting better at anything (actually, the opposite) and I feel like there's little purpose in what I'm doing...even though I'm getting paid the most I've ever been paid for how little responsibility I have...

I tell people who ask what I do for a living that I'm a mouse jockey- or that I sit in a chair and wiggle a mouse, clicking from time to time...

BM

You have to have outside interests to make your life whole, and some self realization. Don't let the brain chemistry rule you all the time.

blur xc
June 24th, 2010, 11:04 PM
You have to have outside interests to make your life whole, and some self realization. Don't let the brain chemistry rule you all the time.

That's what I'm getting at. I spend most of my time at work learning about outside interests, whatever it may be at the time... For a while it was bash scripting, then I was dabbling in python, after that I was studying up on stirling engines (and started designing my own desktop model), last week I modeled a rocket powered pinewood derby car (kids are in cub scout, and the pinewood derby is coming up in August...)...the list goes on and on...

BM

wilee-nilee
June 24th, 2010, 11:52 PM
That's what I'm getting at. I spend most of my time at work learning about outside interests, whatever it may be at the time... For a while it was bash scripting, then I was dabbling in python, after that I was studying up on stirling engines (and started designing my own desktop model), last week I modeled a rocket powered pinewood derby car (kids are in cub scout, and the pinewood derby is coming up in August...)...the list goes on and on...

BM

All done in front of a computer or the majority of. I would find a creative outlet, buy a guitar, take up knitting or crafts, do see where I'm going here step away from the computer and find interest that allow you to get to the stream of consciousness. For me it was Jazz/music I spent years getting to a master level of playing on multiple instruments so I could just close my eyes and improvise in any genre or setting, thats what worked for me. I applied this same method to being a Chef, my own business, to the study of Psychology, Cosmology and Physics, and comparative myth.

madjr
June 25th, 2010, 03:56 AM
I applied this same method to being a Chef, my own business, to the study of Psychology, Cosmology and Physics, and comparative myth.

you summed me up