PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Will all ubuntu software work for kubuntu and xbuntu

wwe9112
June 23rd, 2010, 07:07 PM
So I wanna try out xbuntu and kubuntu but will software that says it will install on ubuntu will it install on the others too just as easy?

On a side note are there any distros that will be more windows like? where i can install stuff using an exe? I'm horrible with this command line thing. It dont even have to install with exe just as long as it will install without me having to use the command line prompt thing.

Thanks for all your help!

Rubi1200
June 23rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
So I wanna try out xbuntu and kubuntu but will software that says it will install on ubuntu will it install on the others too just as easy?

On a side note are there any distros that will be more windows like? where i can install stuff using an exe? I'm horrible with this command line thing. It dont even have to install with exe just as long as it will install without me having to use the command line prompt thing.

Answer to the first question is yes; the official repositories for Ubuntu are also shared by Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu etc.

Answer to the second question might be found here:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zorin

Cam42
June 23rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
There are .deb packages available for Ubuntu, much like windows .exes

wwe9112
June 23rd, 2010, 07:39 PM
So if I download something and its a .deb or whatever you said it was i just click it and it will install in that case?

snowpine
June 23rd, 2010, 07:40 PM

Most applications that work in Ubuntu should also work in Xubuntu or Kubuntu. (The exception would be apps that are tightly integrated with the desktop environment, for example using Nautilus file manager in Xubuntu may have unintended consequences such as changing your desktop background).

Installing applications in Ubuntu is easier than in Windows. You no longer need to surf around the internet trying to find what you want; just go to the Ubuntu Software Center and you will find thousands of stable, tested, trusted applications you can install just by clicking on them! Linux is not Windows; if you take a little time to learn new habits, you'll find it all makes sense. ;)

(ps I recommend against installing random .deb's you download from the internet, stick with the apps in the Ubuntu Software Center whenever possible is my suggestion, as they are tested specifically to work with your version of Ubuntu.)

Thelasko
June 23rd, 2010, 07:42 PM
Read this (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware)

wwe9112
June 23rd, 2010, 07:56 PM
ok thank you you guys

what are your thoughts about the
Zorin OS

Thelasko
June 23rd, 2010, 08:06 PM
what are your thoughts about the
Zorin OS

This is the first I've heard of it.

It says it's aimed at Windows users. My response to that, is that Ubuntu isn't exactly the same as Windows. It requires a different mindset about things like installing software, for example. However, the basics are still the same. Hang in there and you might come to the same conclusion that many of us do. The Ubuntu way is better.

P.S. Read that website I linked to in my last post. It pretty much explains all of the differences between Ubuntu and Windows (there aren't that many really). If you can get used to those differences, then the rest will come naturally.