PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless switch doesn't work in the evenings

Maheriano
June 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
This is really weird. I have a Dlink DIR628 wireless switch which is capable of G/N and either 2.4 or 5 gigahertz frequencies. It works fantastic during the day but as soon as about 6pm hits, I can't load any pages. Everything is timing out, sometimes I get half a page loaded, and then again after midnight or so it's fine again.

Here's some troubleshooting I did:
- my girlfriend's Macbook works fine with it all the time
- switching to my Netgear WGT624 (G only) switch works fine
- switching the Dlink to 5 gigahertz works fine
- moving everything to another building and using the Dlink works fine

It's only in my girlfriend's apartment in the evenings with only my computer with only the 2.4 gigahertz setting that I can't use it. I can't set it to 5 gigahertz because that's N only and my girlfriend's Macbook is G only.

What I think is happening is someone's using a cordless phone or microwave and it's messing with the signal, that would make perfect sense since it's only in the evenings, but why can she still use the wireless fine?

My computer is a Dell Studio 15 with a wireless G/N card running the latest Ubuntu.

eltonw
June 23rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
This is really weird. I have a Dlink DIR628 wireless switch which is capable of G/N and either 2.4 or 5 gigahertz frequencies. It works fantastic during the day but as soon as about 6pm hits, I can't load any pages. Everything is timing out, sometimes I get half a page loaded, and then again after midnight or so it's fine again.

Here's some troubleshooting I did:
- my girlfriend's Macbook works fine with it all the time
- switching to my Netgear WGT624 (G only) switch works fine
- switching the Dlink to 5 gigahertz works fine
- moving everything to another building and using the Dlink works fine

It's only in my girlfriend's apartment in the evenings with only my computer with only the 2.4 gigahertz setting that I can't use it. I can't set it to 5 gigahertz because that's N only and my girlfriend's Macbook is G only.

What I think is happening is someone's using a cordless phone or microwave and it's messing with the signal, that would make perfect sense since it's only in the evenings, but why can she still use the wireless fine?

My computer is a Dell Studio 15 with a wireless G/N card running the latest Ubuntu.

A microwave or cordless phone would have to be very (extremely) close (in the same room) to even have that sort of effect.

It's possible is that your GF is using most of the bandwidth viewing streaming videos (e.g. TV via internet), or downloading huge files via torrents.
What is more likely is that you do not have a secured wireless network. If such is the case, and given the time-frame of this regular occurrence, it may be that someone in the building could be freeloading off you.

Think of it: from 6 pm to midnight would be an awfully l-o-n-g time to talk on a cordless, or cook with a microwave, n'est pas? :lolflag:

HTH....

Maheriano
June 23rd, 2010, 08:02 PM
She doesn't do anything but browse websites so she's not using any bandwidth, plus it happens even when her computer is off. I should have also said that I already logged into the switch and viewed the attached devices, nothing has penetrated the security and we're always the only ones connected.

wyliecoyoteuk
June 23rd, 2010, 08:30 PM
Could be another, stronger wifi signal swamping yours.
Try changing the channel that your wifi uses.