PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu white terminal no gui

koryusai
June 23rd, 2010, 05:26 PM
my brother was on my pc typed 'sudo apt-get remove nautilus' and he reinstalled it now when i login all i get is a white terminal and no gui anyone know how to change it back to normal without re-installing ubuntu:

http://i49.tinypic.com/x4kv7p.jpg

im running 10.04 LTS

Thanks in advanced koryusai kun

Deadite81
June 23rd, 2010, 06:19 PM
That was a silly thing to do!
Nobody else seemed to have replied, perhaps this command will work (it won't hurt anyway):

sudo service gdm start

koryusai
June 23rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
when i enter that command it comes up with:

start: Job is already running: gdm

Deadite81
June 23rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
I thought that might be the case. It's strange that you get a login background and no login window. Are you certain Nautilus was reinstalled? You could always try:

sudo apt-get install nautilusAnd you could try starting Nautilus if it's not starting for some reason:

nautilus
That's all I can think of right now, but I'm certainly no expert.

snowpine
June 23rd, 2010, 06:31 PM
Try:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

This should reinstall any parts of the default Ubuntu desktop that your brother may have accidentally removed. :)

koryusai
June 23rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
deadite81, when i try your post i get:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2dj3195.jpg

snowpine, when i try your post i get:
http://i45.tinypic.com/24e1jd2.jpg

Deadite81
June 23rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
Snowpine's answer was correct, it appears that getting those packages will ifx your problem. It appears you're not connected to the internet however...I don't know how to do that from the command line. However, those packages are likely still in your cache (/var/apt/cache). You could install them from there.

Deadite81
June 23rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
I think the command would be

cd /var/cache/apt/archivesthen

lsFind the exact name of the "gnome-session" package, then

sudo dpkg -i NAMEOFPACKAGEThen you'll probably have to restart.

Deadite81
June 23rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Sorry wrong directory!
it's /var/cache/apt/archives

koryusai
June 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks for your reply im just reinstalling the .deb pack's now will get back to you if it works

Deadite81
June 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
I've checked, and the package in my cache is:

gnome-session_2.30.0-0ubuntu1_all.debthis should work:

sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-session*.debSorry about the confusion, doing too many things at once.

JK3mp
June 23rd, 2010, 07:42 PM
Wow what a not so funny joke, for future reference connecting to THE WORLD(aka Internet) from cmd line is
ifup eth0 i believe.(for eth0 NIC)

Deadite81
June 23rd, 2010, 07:54 PM
Wow what a not so funny joke, for future reference connecting to THE WORLD(aka Internet) from cmd line is
ifup eth0 i believe.(for eth0 NIC)

Ha! Never needed to do it, so never bothered to see how simple it is! Learn something new every day...:)

koryusai
June 23rd, 2010, 09:00 PM
that didnt work deadite and JK3mp that didn't work eather is there anyway of installing the ubuntu-desktop update from the live cd?

Deadite81
June 23rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Did the gnome-session package not install at all? After looking up what that package actually does, it is unclear to me if it is even necessary to logging in. If you haven't deleted any of your apt cache, this command should install ubuntu-desktop:

sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/ubuntu-desktop*.debAs for installing from a live cd, I don't know if that's possible or not. You can download (http://packages.ubuntu.com/) those three packages your missing onto a usb stick and install them that way.

You should know that the "ubuntu-desktop" package is a "meta package", meaning that it doesn't contain anything, it only points to certain packages and makes sure they all stay installed and up to date. The only packages you're actually missing (as far as from ubuntu-desktop) are gnome-session and nautilus-share.

If your setup to automatically connect to the internet,
ifup -amight work. The command
sudo lshw -C networkwill show you your available network devices, just to make sure your device is even being recognized.

A way to get around the login screen, which I've used before, is to login using a virtual terminal. If you press ctrl+alt+F1 you should be taken to a virtual term that asks you for your username and password (assuming virtualization is enabled on your computer. I had to enable mine in the bios).

Put that in and wait for it to log you in. Now hit ctrl+alt+F7 to return to the X session. This may get you past the login screen.

Are you sure that's all your brother did?

koryusai
June 23rd, 2010, 10:17 PM
im just going throught the steps how do i insall them from my usb stick?

koryusai
June 23rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
if i type:

gnome-session

it shows up the normal desktop but when i close the terminal window it vannishes

Deadite81
June 23rd, 2010, 10:56 PM
Type
gnome-session &
This will start gnome-session as a background prossess. Then hit ctrl+C to get your terminal prompt back.

Can you interact with your desktop normally after that?

koryusai
June 23rd, 2010, 11:12 PM
yes all i had to do is type gnome-session then reboot then activate my gfx card:

gnome-session
wait a bit
open new ternimal
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
sudo reboot
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot