PDA

View Full Version : HP to sell $300 netbook for heavy-duty classroom use

Sporkman
June 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
HP to sell $300 netbook for heavy-duty classroom use

By Frank Michael Russell
frussell@mercurynews.com

Palo Alto computer and printer giant Hewlett-Packard today is introducing a $300 netbook PC designed for heavy-duty classroom use.

According to a company statement, the HP Mini 100e Education Edition is designed "to close the digital divide by offering students and teachers an interactive learning experience at an affordable price."...

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_15357964?source=rss

donkyhotay
June 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM
No mention of what OS it's running. Can't find anything on the HP site. Probably proprietary which means students can learn to use some applications but won't be able to actually learn about the computer due to being locked down.

Simian Man
June 23rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
I think it's good that the financial bar for technology is being lowered, but I feel education relies to much on technology already.

No mention of what OS it's running. Can't find anything on the HP site. Probably proprietary which means students can learn to use some applications but won't be able to actually learn about the computer due to being locked down.

Unless they are targeting these at graduate level computer science classes in operating systems, I fail to see how the OS affects how you can learn about computers.

Shining Arcanine
June 23rd, 2010, 05:42 PM

I fail to see how the preinstalled OS will matter. What HP is selling is hardware, not software.

doas777
June 23rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
if you mix the words netbook and "heavy duty" in a sentence, the result is always suspect.