PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Install Ubuntu (or W7)

Conspi
June 23rd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Hi,

I spilled some lemonade on my laptop which made my HDD and DVD-ROM useless. So I got new ones (so it's completely fresh install) and I'm trying to install an OS. Unfortunately I have problems doing so.

When I try to install I get this, with this CD always on 48%, other CD was 36% I think:
http://i46.tinypic.com/20qyww8.png
It says pretty much the same for windows 7 install, but as this is Ubuntu forum, I won't go into that.. just maybe it might help :)

I got 2 fresh CD's (No scratches), different brands. Tried 2 different computers to burn CDs in, at lowest speed, still get the same error. W7 DVD is also pretty much spotless, and I doubt it's HDD/CD-ROM fault, as both are brand new, and seemingly working just fine.

Soo.. any ideas what might cause this? Should I just try to burn some more CDs?

ISO is from Ubuntu main page (10.04)
LiveCD works fine.

dabl
June 23rd, 2010, 06:11 PM
Hi,

LiveCD works fine.

Are you saying that you can boot and run the Live CD, and everything seems to work correctly?

If "YES", then I think what you have is either "bad burn" or "bad blank". To run the installation, the burned image has to be 100% error free, or you get the "failed at xx%" problem.

I would say one of these two approaches (or both) will get you a good CD, if you start with a known good (i.e. md5sum checked) ISO file:

1. Burn it on a different computer than the one it's failing on.

2. Get a different brand of CD blank to use.

And yes, you do need to burn at the lowest speed available -- not higher than 8X.

Conspi
June 23rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
Are you saying that you can boot and run the Live CD, and everything seems to work correctly?

If "YES", then I think what you have is either "bad burn" or "bad blank". To run the installation, the burned image has to be 100% error free, or you get the "failed at xx%" problem.

I would say one of these two approaches (or both) will get you a good CD, if you start with a known good (i.e. md5sum checked) ISO file:

1. Burn it on a different computer than the one it's failing on.

2. Get a different brand of CD blank to use.

And yes, you do need to burn at the lowest speed available -- not higher than 8X.
Thanks for your answer :)

Yes, liveCD works fine. I have used 2 completely different computers and 2 completely different brands of blank CDs, and burned them with slowest speed possible. Although I did use the same image..
I will try to re-download and burn a new CD, lets see what happens..