PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use the global menubar in the bottom panel?

2cute4u
June 23rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
I was reading an old debate on OSNews about global menu bars vs local menu bars. and one of the comments said that putting the menu bar at the top of the screen wastes the most valuable part of the screen. I wanted to say back to him, "If you think so, why not just put it at the bottom". I couldn't because the comments were from 5 years ago, but it got me curious about if anyone actually does that. :?:

Legendary_Bibo
June 23rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
I was reading an old debate on OSNews about global menu bars vs local menu bars. and one of the comments said that putting the menu bar at the top of the screen wastes the most valuable part of the screen. I wanted to say back to him, "If you think so, why not just put it at the bottom". I couldn't because the comments were from 5 years ago, but it got me curious about if anyone actually does that. :?:

Is that where things like 'File', 'Edit', 'Settings', and 'Help' would be located in the top panel or something? I think that would be a bit unintuitive really because you wouldn't really be able to tell which window you're performing certain actions to.

kaldor
June 23rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
Is that where things like 'File', 'Edit', 'Settings', and 'Help' would be located in the top panel or something? I think that would be a bit unintuitive really because you wouldn't really be able to tell which window you're performing certain actions to.

Try using a Mac; it's extremely easy.

Example...

-You have 3 windows open: Firefox, Skype, Nautilus (your home folder).

-You are on firefox right now. The top of your screen says "Firefox File Edit View" etc. Preferences, about, quit, close, etc are on the "Firefox" tab.

-You get an instant message on skype and respond. The top of your screen says "Skype Chat Calls" etc.

-You then go into your home folder and do tasks.The menu will say "Nautilus File Edit View" etc.

It's not unintuitive at all. It's a screen space saver :)

Edit: Pics

http://blandname.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/mac-os-x-1047-server-screenshot.png
The window open is a Finder window. Note the Finder menu on the top panel.

http://www.dreamsoft.us/tools/help/cache/mac_safari_1.jpg
While using Safari.

Legendary_Bibo
June 23rd, 2010, 11:43 PM
Try using a Mac; it's extremely easy.

Example...

-You have 3 windows open: Firefox, Skype, Nautilus (your home folder).

-You are on firefox right now. The top of your screen says "Firefox File Edit View" etc. Preferences, about, quit, close, etc are on the "Firefox" tab.

-You get an instant message on skype and respond. The top of your screen says "Skype Chat Calls" etc.

-You then go into your home folder and do tasks.The menu will say "Nautilus File Edit View" etc.

It's not unintuitive at all. It's a screen space saver :)

Edit: Pics

http://blandname.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/mac-os-x-1047-server-screenshot.png
The window open is a Finder window. Note the Finder menu on the top panel.

http://www.dreamsoft.us/tools/help/cache/mac_safari_1.jpg
While using Safari.

Ohhhh...okay, yeah that is a great idea then. My thinking was that they weren't labeled, but yeah that is a great idea. Is there a way for that in gnome? I would definitely want that for GIMP.

juancarlospaco
June 24th, 2010, 12:31 AM
What about other apps that dont use GTK/QT ...???

Random examples: WxWidgets or TKinter

DoubleClicker
June 24th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I was reading an old debate on OSNews about global menu bars vs local menu bars. and one of the comments said that putting the menu bar at the top of the screen wastes the most valuable part of the screen. I wanted to say back to him, "If you think so, why not just put it at the bottom". I couldn't because the comments were from 5 years ago, but it got me curious about if anyone actually does that.
When Bill Atkinson first created the Mac user interface, he initially put the menubar at the bottom of the window, then moved it to the top the window, and finally out of the window at the top of the screen. Next time i talk to him I'm gpoing to ask if he ever considered putting it at the bottom of the screen.

Today I tried it : after 26 years of mac use, it was too hard to break old habits, but i could see that it would be just as easy for a newbie, as having it at the top.

Ohhhh...okay, yeah that is a great idea then. My thinking was that they weren't labeled, but yeah that is a great idea. Is there a way for that in gnome? I would definitely want that for GIMP.
yes you cab do it with gnome globalmenu

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:globalmenu-team
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install gnome-globalmenu

This only works with real gtk apps, but in maverick there will be a new global menu that will work with QT apps, everything else will have to wait till Maverick+1

ve4cib
June 24th, 2010, 03:18 PM
one of the comments said that putting the menu bar at the top of the screen wastes the most valuable part of the screen.

I'm more interested to see why the top of the screen is wasted if you use a global menu at the top. It seems to me that the top of the screen would be put to exceptionally good use this way, by giving your top menu items effectively infinite height when mousing over them.

With your standard window decorations (and no top panel) there is more wasted screen space; you have the max/min/close/shade buttons in one corner, the window menu in the other, and the rest is just decoration and the window title.

Throw a top panel on with a global menu, some frequently-used applets (e-mail & IM indicators, calendar, etc...), and whatever else seems like a much better use of real-estate to me.

Simian Man
June 24th, 2010, 03:30 PM

wxWidgets uses GTK internally on Linux so if it works for GTK, it will work for wxWidgets. And who uses TK any more??