PDA

View Full Version : Real Ubuntu Cafés

Luke Psywalker
March 28th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I had a bit of an epiphany yesterday after attending my local LUG (Linux User Group). What if we (the Ubuntu Community) could construct an outline for the establishment and management of internet cafés that promote Ubuntu.

This would be a great initiative for us to peruse and would have many flow on benefits:
Exposure and promotion for Ubuntu
Real life social networking and the pleasure of demonstrating Ubuntu for those involved

What would be really cool is branded ‘Ubuntu Cafés’, that use uniform signage which incorporates the wonderful and highly distinguishable Ubuntu logo. This has the possibility of really raising Ubuntu’s profile, imagine travelling around the world and being able to go to a Ubuntu café where ever you go that looks, feels and works the same.

The Cafés should be run as ‘not for profits’ by local LUGs and volunteers. Anyway tell me what you think, I'm really keen to hear your opinions.

tomski
March 28th, 2006, 01:30 PM
That is a really cool idea and when i start up mine i will call it:
'Cubuntu Cafe'
Coffe for humans!

just an after thought i wonder how much the cost for all that signage would be but still a great idea though

i would definatly use a ubuntu shop/cafe/store if i saw the ubuntu sign because at the moment it seem's to go hand in hand with help is here if needed just ask!!!

Luke Psywalker
March 28th, 2006, 01:44 PM
just an after thought i wonder how much the cost for all that signage would be but still a great idea though

One of the many things that needs to be nutted out on a wiki - ubuntucafe.org ??

It would almost be like a business plan, or rather a conise guide for for every issue you might face in the establishment and running of a Café. Obvously you would charge money for net access, burning of photo CD's etc, all of which would go back into buying new gear, repaying initial financing etc.

kanem
March 28th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Though not "not-for-profit" there is a Linux cafe (http://www.linuxcaffe.ca/) here in Toronto, Canada that has computers running Ubuntu. They've also been known to give out Ubuntu cds.

They seem to be doing alright, so there's some inspiration for anyone else that wants to try it.

Iandefor
March 28th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I dislike the idea. Sorry, but it just doesn't sit right with me. I'll probably realize why I don't like it later, so I'll post back then.